Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Fireworks and Quilting

All of last week was spent camping in Iowa so we could attend PGI.  PGI is Pyrotechnic Guild International-think huge fireworks displays and classes to make fireworks. Every August there is a big convention.  We love seeing the nightly displays, three nights are open to the public for viewing pleasure.  Hubby signed us up to be members so that he could attend classes. While he was enjoying himself learning to make some, I was able to stay at the camper and be happily sewing away.  But at night we both went to see the big firework shows.

Here is some of what I worked on, piecing of snowman runners, it was so hot and humid but my AC was keeping me cool.  These six are now ready for their quilting and the finishing applique after.

 After getting all the snowman runners pieced that I brought along, I started a new quilt!  Some improvising was done as I needed a design wall.  Looking around the camper, I decided that the big window in the back of the camper was the right size and I could pin right into the cornice of it.

With all the modern technology with phones now it was funny to see this old phone booth right outside the camper!  It was not useable since the phone wasn't there anymore.  But the pole beside it was like our own personal WiFi tower!  It was the best connection in a campground we have ever had.  

At the PGI displays they set off these big fireballs-wow did it ever get hot!   For this one we were about 300 feet away. 

During the big shows at night there were mulitple shells being shot off at once.  You were looking up, down, left, right, round and round!  So glorious.  It was like gold dripping from the sky, along with diamonds, ruby, sapphire, and emeralds

Just one of the prettiest blue shells that went off.   It is just hard to capture good firework pictures so I took very few, instead I just wanted to live in the moment;)  Usually the conference is over our Anniversary but this year it was a week early.  Today is our 36th Wedding Anniversary!

I just want to let you know that the big Island Batik blog hop is going on right now.  You can get the links to the Ambassador blogs on the Island Batik blog.  There are some wonderful giveaways too!!  I will be sharing my project on Aug. 28th.  Here is a sneak peek of the fabrics I am working with.  Remember that these are the fabrics released at Spring Market a few months ago.  Ask for them in your quilt shop!!


Linking with Connie and Susan



17 comments:

  1. As a camper myself I know the importance of efficiency and my friend, you have it down to a science. You know I love the snowmen and I look forward to seeing more of the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new quilt looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you got a lot of quilting done while campling Vicki! I didn't realize you were in Iowa!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You’ve been a busy camper! The photos of the fireworks are beautiful. I can’t imagine how pretty they must have been in person.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The phone booth provided a smile and fond memories. When I was a child I thought it was so grown up to be able to use one, lol. At what age do you suppose you'd have to be to not know what one of these are? denise@fortheloveofgeese

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like quite a trip! I love fireworks, so would have been fascinated by the whole experience. Glad both you and hubby got to do what you like best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, with fireballs like that going off, no wonder you were making snowmen! Haha! I like what's happening with that new quilt. Are you making that for yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an experience! Those fireballs! Love the new quilt coming up. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary!! Today is our 43 anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a way to improvise! Happy anniversary!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy anniversary! I had no idea there was such an event as PGI, but it makes sense. There's a conference for everything these days! Sounds like fun to get to sew AND see tons of fireworks :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Vicki! WOWEE - what fabulous pictures. Who even knew there was a convention about pyrotechnics, but of course there would be. It looks like you had the best of both worlds - sewing in the nice cool camper during the day, and fireworks at night. I love your snowmen runners, and very creative using the big window as your design wall. Happy Wednesday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Anniversary! I found a couple of working phone booths in Upper Michigan, a few years ago. People were chatting on the phone in both booths. One was in the country, just off the road, in front of a camping area. The other was on a corner in the downtown area of a cute town.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is amazing how much quilting you get done when you are camping! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good work on making more snowmen runners - they are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the design wall improvisation!!! We quilters can solve just about every problem, isn't it? Wishing you lots of love and joy as you celebrate your anniversary.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html