Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Addicted to 10 degrees

And that doesn't mean 10 degrees fahrenheit either!!  I am talking about the 10 degree wedge ruler.  I love working with this ruler.  Using my tutorial I created this fall fabrics one first. 


 It's always fun to see how they turn out.  The center circle is the last piece I figure what fabric I want to use.  And I don't even do that until the top is all pieced.  Here is #2 topper. 


And then it was time to make a Christmas one. 


With the edges being curved you have to make bias binding.  Not my favorite thing to do, but it is necessary.  I used to dread sewing the bias binding onto the curves.   But no longer, I have finally figured out what works for me.  You have to be sure not to stretch it while sewing.  Even the tiniest bit of stretch will keep your top from laying flat.  After sewing the binding on I press the binding outward and use a bit of steam. 


Here you see my fingers/hand slightly pushing the binding away from the topper, keeping it away from the steam of course!  I might press around the circle a couple of times making sure the binding is smoothed out before I machine stitch in the ditch from the front side. 


And then while pressing two halves of the Christmas one I accidentally laid them down side by side, with one of them upside down, and made a whole new style of wedge table toppers.  Since I wanted a round Christmas one I made yet another set of wedges! These wedges were cut with a wider section of the ruler.  And this was born, a wedge swirl!!   Be honest and tell me what you think of this design.



16 comments:

  1. I like the wedge swirl, but it looks too big for your table. It would probably fit on mine though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your wedges - really like your swirly one too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reading along, thinking how neat your round wedge tabletoppers are, and then I got to the last picture! Wow! I love that one - a fun surprise. Those are going to be popular, I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your wedge swirl! I'm going to have to dust off my wedge rulers and play around with them. Your toppers are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I love the wedge swirl -- and so do others! What fun! I could see the circles as a tree skirt for a table tree, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the wedge swirl on your table. It caught my eye as a unique type of runner. I think it looks great on your table. I also like the circle quilts. Interesting for the center of tables. I think you have winners in these styles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the swirl is fabulous! It really makes the table festive. A customer could request an even longer one for a looooong family table. I wonder what it would look like with a few more wedges rounding the end even more? Lots of possibilities :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vicki! I LOVE the new design for your Christmas table runner. Very cool and even more so that it was an accidental discovery. LOVE it! Each one of your 10 degree toppers look just a little different. I think they'll be a good seller - that's my prediction. I want to PIN your table runner but don't want people to steal your idea if you'd prefer I didn't? ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your round table toppers are so cute for holiday decor. The swirly one is very pretty, and it looks more complicated than just laying two halves together. =) I have the ruler, and I like it a lot, but haven used it like you have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That wedge swirl is fantastic!! Happy accident that looks great. I can see it in so many different fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I rather like the wedge swirl cause it's different (you know me!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another two thumbs up (and I’d do three if I had ‘em) for that awesome wedge swirl table topper. Your makes are always the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen something like the swirly table topper design before and I like it! So cool on a table--really shows off all your work. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hats off to your work. After a long time I've seen such a unique thing. Thanks for sharing.
    Paint by Numbers Home

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html