Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Quilters Meet and Greet


Welcome to the 2019 Online Quilters Meet & Greet!  
Benita asked me to participate last year and I just couldn't find the extra time needed to do it.  So when she asked me again this year I decided it would join in the fun and perhaps I'll meet new quilting blogs to follow.  I mean we all love inspiration right! 
You'll want to visit the MAIN page to find out more about all of the participating bloggers.  And be sure to sign up for the giveway!



A little about me:
I grew up with parents that were crafty.  My mom and her mom were quilters/sewers.  Mom made  lots of clothes for me and my dolls.  She taught me to sew, hand knit, and crochet as a very young child.  I have carried that through to my adult life and enjoyed it very much.  Although, after taking Home Ec in high school I almost stopped sewing.  I went into the class knowing what mom had taught me and then the teacher tells us to do things differently.  I didn't much like that, I wanted to do it my way!  Five years later I started quilting as I needed a quilt for my very first apartment.  It was a simple quilt by appliquing dresden plates onto a sheet-boy have I came a long way!!  


After getting married in 1982 I went to Vo-Tech school to learn to be Medical Clerk Typist.  I never used my newly learned knowledge as the day I graduated we discovered I was pregnant with out first child.  We decided it would be better for me to be a stay at home mom.  I started doing craft shows and sewed Cabbage Patch and Barbie type doll clothes.  Three years later while pregnant with our second child I bought a knitting machine and made and sold children's sweaters and went on to also knit hats, mittens for a few local schools years later.  I still have my knitting machines but don't knit near what I used to.


I added a quilting frame in 2002 and I have been hooked ever since.  I started out small and inexpensive with a Juki on a table top frame called a Superquilter.  I have since moved up to a Nolting Funquilter 17" on their commercial frame which you see me quilting on here-heaven!!!


Quilting is my passion, it would seem I don't get enough of it.  I make many table runners, wall hangings, purses and lap quilts to sell at craft shows(which I have been doing for 30 yrs. now).  I also have an Etsy shop where I sell the same type of items.  Making and selling has been my full time job for years. 

Four years ago I also became an Island Batik Ambassador-Oh the beautiful fabrics I get to work with!  Each month they give us a challenge theme and we make something and blog about it.  This is one of the challenges. It was to use a 'new to us' technique.  I used EQ swath tool to design it and I used appliqued bias tape method to attach the geese units to the backing.  If you want to see more of my Island Batik projects you can do a search in my right side bar using Island Batik as the key words.



I hope you have enjoyed your visit to my blog and I hope you come back again.  Now go meet some other quilters and be sure you sign up for the giveaway.  Just click the button below to take you there. 



41 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading more about you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to participate this year then we realized we would be traveling and didn't know if I would have WiFi so backed out and then we were delayed taking off - maybe I can another year. I like more about you and being an Island ambassador

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow wonderful job on that tiny quilting with a long arm. You really have a knack for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's always fun to learn a little more about a quilty friend whose work I admire. My mom taught me to sew, too - she even sewed my wedding gown! I'm so glad there are ways to be creative that don't require us to sew clothing anymore, lol! Love that curvy flying geese project, Vicki!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe we were in the same home ec class, or at least we had the same mindset. I'm pretty sure that's why I didn't begin quilting until later in life! Haha. Fun read, Vicki, and I'm delighted that we are so close and can get together and sew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilting with the flying geese, Vicki. Lovely to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very fun to learn a little more about you, Vicki!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I could look at that quilt every day! Enjoy seeing you at your frame too! Funny the first three I've visited, (myself, you and Lisa) all were asked last year but didn't join in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun to read about your life. Your work is always so beautiful and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you added that penny to the photo. It makes that already stunning piece so much more, wow. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome quilting and knitting! You are multi-talented!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love your quilting! It was fun to hear about your crafty beginnings and life!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Vicki! I just LOVE that quilt, and for now it should be your signature quilt. The flying geese are just suburb and the quilting takes it to the next level. Medical Clerk Typist, huh?! I took transcription classes when I turned 50 and did some typing from home for quite a few years. I love learning new things about quilty friends. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your quilting is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your story

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is amazing.....love the colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful quilting! I admire you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Flying Geese, great colors.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Vicki! You should have seen my first quilt! Bahhaaa!! Yours is wonderful! Nice to read about you and see your longarming talents!
    Your friend...~karen :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I’m not gonna lie, I’m a tiny bit jealous of this quilt. Beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Meet & Greet is such a great way to get to know new-to-me quilters. Your curvy geese are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the spot of colour in your binding, it looks great with the design.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's nice to learn a bit more about you Vicki and I absolutely love your Island Ambassador Quilt. It's just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I’m looking at my swooping flying geese table runner as I type this!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So fun to read your story! I love seeing your quilting - it is phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! You are Amazing!! Love your Quilt! Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Always fun to learn a little about new to me bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I enjoy visiting your blog. Thanks for participating in the Meet and Greet. It was nice to learn a bit more about your work. Do you make ahead for your business? I've never been a fan of keeping inventory. Custom orders all the way, for me!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I really loved reading your story of your journey into quilting! I smiled at the comment about buying a knitting machine - I can vividly remember the zip-zip of my mum's machine as she worked on it when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love your flying geese quilt. It is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  30. The flying geese quilt is beautiful. I love the colors and batiks.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love this quilt and the quilting. You have done a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  32. So great to know you better! Love your quilting, and it's always a pleasure to admire your gorgeous flying geese quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  33. We all go through progress in our lives with crafts, and to see you with a long arm, what joy, we( My husband and I) also both had knitting machines. Seems that blog quilters reach far and wide with their friendships.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a ride your quilting journey has been! I bet the work for batiks is fun. I have given quite a bit of thought to opening an Etsy shop, but I have little faith that I will work diligently enough to keep an adequate inventory. I like my quilting to be fun, not work. I am Jayne from the Meet and Greet. So nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html