Thursday, May 21, 2020

It's Cool To Be Square blog hop

Being a part of a blog hop is always so much fun don't you think?  So when Carol from Just Let Me Quilt announced she was having  "Its Cool To Be Square" blog hop I jumped on the bandwagon.   It kinda happened as I was just starting this quilt back in March.  And it just so happened it involved squares.  So it was meant to be:)








I had purchased a bundle of 10 fat quarters at the Minnesota Quilt show last year.  And it has been staring at me and begging me to use them in a quilt.  I just hadn't figured out just what quilt and then to find a pattern that needed only 10 fat quarters.  As I do from time to time, I went through a box of patterns and found one that would work great if I substituted the light colored fat quarter in that bundle.  Of course that meant going through my bright fun colors of stash to get one that would look like it fit in.  See that pretty teal border print with the purple polka dots, yep that's the one I substituted and then decided to use it for the border and binding also.


The pattern is called Sweet Pea and is from Anka's Treasures.  It is a fast pattern to make up and fun looking at.  While her pattern has you applique flowers onto the quilt I decided I didn't want to do that.  I like the simplicity of the 'cool' squares and it lets the prints shine through. 

I quilted the whimsical all over freehand flowers with this teal thread.  It's spring I guess and I am stuck in flower mode.


Then when it came time to quilt it a couple weeks ago, I started panicking because I don't usually have a lot of big yardage pieces for backings on hand.  The one I originally picked wasn't big enough and I didn't have time to do a pieced backing.  So I dug a little deeper and wowzers I came up with the perfect piece, the right size, the right color, bingo!!!

It measures in at 56"x 66".  A great size to cuddle up and read a book or watch TV with. 


Thanks Carol for hosting and letting me be part of this blog hop!   Here are the links to the other bloggers participating.










Linking with:

29 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilt! The perfect design for this hop. Love the colors you chose. They really make the white squares pop. You do such lovely quilting. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fantastically cool quilt with squares! I love the color combination you used to set off the white squares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the colors and the squares. Would like to see the whole quilt though to get a better look at it and the size of it. Beautifully done as always Vicki.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you really did have the perfect fat quarter bundle for that design, Vicki! And the one you substituted in fits right in, too. Pretty fabric, great design - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your quilt, the pattern, the colors, the squares. Your choice of border was perfectly cool. Your stash looks like a fun place to shop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun pattern! The design really does let the fabrics shine. Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I call that quilt when I come over and we watch a show! I love it. Great choice of colors, and I heard that little squee when you found that perfect backing! Love, love, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love that quilt. Such happy colors and the fun pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Vicky...I LOVE it. So bright and cheery. What a "score" on that fat quarter pack and finding the perfect pattern to show them off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this in those fabrics! It is definitely a cool square quilt that would be awesome to snuggle in. Thank you for sharing and being a part of the hop!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that you had a backing piece in the right size and color!!! Super cute fabrics and quilt, Vick! I like that quilt ladder, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, that is SEW cute!! I haven't seen that pattern before. It is DEFINITELY going on my To Make list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the design of the quilt, and the colors are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Vicki! Wow, this is one great quilt to use up those gorgeous fat quarter pieces. What a fun pattern to really let the fabric shine. A perfect interpretation for a COOL square blog hop. Of course I love to see the quilting as well. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another one to jump into my list. Thank you, it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks a great quilt to snuggle up under to read or enjoy watching tv. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What beautiful fabrics! I love how the simple squares let the fabrics sing, but it's still quite interesting to look at. Hooray for having the perfect backing hidden away!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great quilt! It definitely doesn't need any applique to be fun and modern! I love the colors and how the white squares dance across it. Very cool, indeed :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. How wonderful to use those cherished FQs from a show last year! It seems a long time ago but Anka's Sweet Peapattern is perfect. The backing is just lovely too and how perfect that it was around.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your quilt! Your bright colors really pop with the white, what a fantastic finish!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for sharing your brilliant quilt! I love the pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yay! I love your 'square' quilt. That layout is so much fun and it's great that you go to use up some lovely FQs from your stash.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the resulting effect! it certainly does not need appliqué flowers

    ReplyDelete
  24. Pretty quilt. Yes, the backing is perfect for that quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Obviously the backing you found was a meant-to-be moment. I love when that happens! Your quilt looks so pretty - I love the bright colours. Thank you for having us over for a visit with you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is so pretty, I love the bright cheerful colors and they were prefect for this design. Don't you love it when everything falls into place? Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down. Come back tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh that was totally meant to be!! what a fun quilt - love all the bright colors and the happiness of it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. It is amazing what you find in your stash when you dig deep. Your quilt looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html