Monday, May 11, 2020

Monday Memories

I'll get to the memories soon but first some background.  Last week I just didn't feel like sewing at all.  That is just not like me.  I didn't have anything pressing at the time that needed sewn anyway.  So I decided to uncover one of my knitting machines and knit some kid sweaters.  My supply is down and I needed to get busy on them.

While knitting I was near a messy set of cubbies that had fabric in them and piled on top of them and it was not appealing at all.  That afternoon I started sorting and organizing and putting in bins and before long it looked better.  The next day, after knitting another sweater, I tackled another little cupboard that had miscellaneous stuff in it.  Some of it was put in another location and that made room for more fabric storage;)  In that process I found an old photo album that housed photos of things I used to make a long time ago, like 30+ years ago.  A light bulb came on and I thought why not share some of those photos with you.


Most of you know that I do local craft shows but did I mention that I started doing them 35 years ago!
First I made clothes for Cabbage Patch Dolls and Barbie Dolls. I haven't found photos of those yet.  But shortly thereafter I began making and selling these baskets on ice cream pails.  Those are sitting on the fireplace and then the stuffed lamb dolls.  We haven't lived in that house in years and I still miss my gorgeous fireplace.


These country kitchen towel dolls were all the rage for a few years.  Their face, arms and bodies were made with muslin and stuff with polyfill.  It was fun looking for just the right combination of prints, plaids to go with the towels.  All of these items were made from purchased patterns.

And they evolved into bunnies, ducks and lambs. I made all the other dolls sitting on the shelf(which my dad made). My parents were very crafty too and sold at craft shows for years also.

Wow did those photos bring back memories of things I used to make.  I didn't date the photos so they most likely won't be in the order of which things were made. In the next several weeks I will be sharing more memories on Monday.   Perhaps you have old photos of things you made pre-blogging and would like to share your memories on Mondays also.  At this time I don't have my blog set up for a linky party, but you could write your own post about your memories anyway.  If you send me a link to your blog post I could include it at the bottom of my post so others could find you.

I hope you enjoy getting to know me a bit better through my memories.

Linking with Monday Making, Design Wall Monday


9 comments:

  1. It's so fun to go down memory lane sometimes. I was never one to make dolls or things like you, but I sure made a lot of garments and window treatments. Thanks for sharing, Vicki!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vicki! WOWEE. Talk about a blast from the past. This is circa 1985 - I still lived at home then. I got my first house in 1986 but didn't start quilting/sewing until around 1990. I'll bet these went well at the craft fairs? I love those baskets on the fireplace. I'm pretty sure I received one from my sister that I still have somewhere, holding important stuff. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was a very interesting to read about what you used to do. You've always been crafty, but what made you start quilting? My mom made a bunny that looked like the lambs you made. One of my girls has it now. I always loved that thing. I bet little girls would still like them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun to see how one thing led to another, and that you have photos to document it. I have some photos of quilts I made in the past, but not many. Will be fun to follow these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting it is to see how you evolved over the years. I used to make clothes, then embroidery pics before I got to quilting, but nothing like the fun stuff you have made over the years. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monday Memories will be a fun feature to follow. You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are so fun! I like the curly hair and braids on the Towel Girls. Very fancy! And those lambs are sure dressed to the nines. I'll bet these were super popular at the craft shows :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much fun to see these things. That is one heck of a long time to be doing craft shows!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember seeing items like all of those at craft shows over the years. Memories.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html