Thursday, July 9, 2020

Snowman redwork

Would you believe I actually made something for myself!  Yes I get to keep it and hang it on our wall all winter long.  I am such a snowman lover that this just had to get made.  It's been in the works for a few years actually.  The stitching was done here and there, and last December I pieced it together.  And last weekend I quilted and bound it.


The pattern was in Quiltmaker magazine Nov-Dec 2009.  No I didn't start it back then, only bookmarked it as interested.  Then a friend and I decided to both do one a few years ago.  She was good and got hers done a lot sooner than me.  The original design was stitched in all colors and the fabrics were red, green, gold and blues, not to my liking.  So redwork it was to go with the red and grays I like to work with for my snowman table runners. 


I used Glide 40wt thread in white and went right over the redwork and it worked out great. Some of the blocks received cross hatching and some with diagonal lines in one direction only.


I have not done ribbon candy for a long time and decided now would be a great time to refresh that. So the long gray sashings received that quilting treatment.


The outer red border has wishbone quilting in between two straight lines.


I am so happy with how this whole thing came together.  I did a lot of different sashings than what the pattern had.  I used a lot of leftover pieces from my snowman table runners in this.   Now I will have something to look forward to later this year.  It's been laying on my family room floor for a few days, I just couldn't bear to put it away yet! 


Linking with:




19 comments:

  1. It's a beauty! I can see why you want to keep it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Vicki! Redwork is something I have always wanted to do, it is on my bucket list. The quilting you did on it is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you've made something for yourself too! And why put it away so soon - just enjoy it. Plus, looking at snowmen in this heat is kinda cool :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I love redwork and the combination of quilting designs is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know I love your embroidery, especially all in red. I really love the different borders you used around each block - they just make this so cute! I have to remember that. Great finish, Vicki, and I'm so glad you're keeping it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Breathtaking. Your stitching is perfect and the quilting is, as usual, amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is absolutely gorgeous! I’m glad you are keeping it. I love seeing how you quilted each area.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vicki! I just adore redwork and this is a fine example of it. My niece is a huge snowman fan and would just adore this. I'm glad she can't see you blog photos or I know she would be asking me to make one similar to yours. Enjoy it! It is cute! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the alternating quilting on the large and small blocks. Your wishbone and ribbon candy look fabulous, too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It came out beautiful! You know, it's snowing somewhere in the world right now...why not leave it out and call them, "Patriotic Snowmen"? :)
    It's so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a sweet snowman quilt. Glad you are keeping it. I love snowman too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The ribbon candy and wishbone quilting motifs were perfect for this quilt. The redwork is stunning. It's a perfect quilt to keep you smiling during the winter season.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, your quilting is wonderful, and I really love the variety in the sashing. Really makes it pop! Such beautiful embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What fun for you to have a Christmas quilt done in July! I like that you found that you can quilt right over the embroidery without hiding or distorting it. I’ll try to remember that. I like touches of embroidery in quilts but have only tried it after quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can see why you couldn't resist this pattern, and redwork was the way to go with it for sure. I love that you've been keeping it out in the hottest part of summer, just to admire those darling snowmen! That's how you know you'll continue to love it year after year. Automatic heirloom piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You know it's special when you keep it for yourself! I love it and the quilting you did is beautiful. Of course, the embroidery is the star of the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute! It's great to make something you can keep from time to time. Love your snowmen!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A redwork quilt is on my must do list for someday. Love yours so very much. It's truly special and if I were you I'd hang out up now! Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html