Monday, August 24, 2020

A new border treatment

I needed some sewing therapy which led to longarm therapy.  It's the time of year that I need to keep up with making snowman runners for my Etsy shop.  So I whipped up one of my own designs called Through the Window.  You can find him in my Etsy pattern shop.

Using a tone on tone dark gray for the background gives me opportunity to dress up that outside border.  As I was going to look through some quilting books to get inspiration for something new I spied a drawing I drew on the bulletin board.  When seeing something online I often draw a quick sketch so I won't forget.  However, I wish I had written down whose idea it was as I like to give credit where credit is due.  If anyone knows please tell me!!


This design does involve a ruler all the way through, a special ruler so your hopping foot doesn't jump over it. The ruler I prefer to use with my longarm for straight line quilting is Deloa Jones' castle ruler.  I love how the design looks but it takes time as does all ruler work.


 I knew the border would take time so I kept the other parts of quilting simple with stipple meander or loops.  I used Glide thread in gray and a red.


I'll be linking up with Rebecca for the Long Arm Learning Party that she hosts every Tuesday.  It's a party for well learning from each other about quilting.  Share a post about something you finished, a new tool or if you are having trouble with something.

14 comments:

  1. Great quilting choices! The fabrics and designs make for some cute snowmen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my favorites of all the snowman runners because of it's simplicity. It allows you to add other items to your table and not have it competing. The quilting is simply amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilting, Vicki. You know I love my snowmen :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! Great new border treatment. I've missed you over the past few weeks and assumed you were somewhere having fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sewing therapy is always needed! These snowmen are some of my favorites of your designs, and I love what you can do with your quilting on them, Vicki!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your quilting choices - and I hate the feeling when I can't remember. If I trip across it, I'll let you knw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The snowmen peeking through the windows are so cute! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your snowman runner is adorable! I love how the strong, straight lines of your border design set off the round appliqué shapes and curvy stippling. You know, I've never made anything as small as a table runner before, but maybe I should. My hooligan teenagers cannot be trusted not to set sweaty drink glasses on unprotected surfaces, and it looks like a table runner is a great size for trying out different designs on a smaller scale, without committing to an enormous bed quilt. Thanks for linking up with Long Arm Learning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this design and how you quilted it. Looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  10. The geometric lines play nicely off your round snowmen heads. Nicely executed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Vicki! I'm glad I didn't miss this fun post. I always enjoy your snowman runners but this seems extra special. The meanders around the snowmen faces along with the pretty loops in the sashing really sets the stage for the borders to shine. I'm predicting this has already sold, assuming you've listed it! Love it. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you make a quilt with snowmen? It would be fun to say - I went to bed with three men, ah snowmen :-P

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html