Sunday, July 25, 2021

My July OMG

At the beginning of July I picked a wall hanging that needed quilting and binding to finish for my One Monthly Goal(OMG).  I am happy to report that I finished and therefore met my goal!

This wall hanging started out with a panel that I picked up in May at my local quilt shop, Pine Needles. It was so cute I couldn't resist! I mean just look at that gingham pumpkin with an aqua wheelbarrow😉  It is Happy Fall by Deb Strain for Moda.


After squaring up the panel I started adding borders to make it unique.  First a brown small border and then I mimicked the gingham pumpkin by piecing a gingham border in orange. 


Next came the decision of adding pinwheels to the right side in green, brown and a gold with a light background.  I dug in my scrap buckets for these.  


All of the quilting was planned out in my head before I pinned it on my frame...all except the wide green border sections.  I quilted everything else first. Hook swirls on the panel itself, continuous curve in the light parts of the pinwheel leaving the colored portions unquilted helps them pop out a bit.  Wishbones in the skinny green bottom border. On the gingham border section I quilted a fourth inch away from the seams. 

Then I walked away from it for a day to decide what to quilt in the wide green.  After looking at the panel to see what I could pull from there to inspire me, I saw pumpkins.  Why not quilt something that would resemble pumpkins a bit.  Thus the curves like I would quilt inside a pumpkin.


And there we have a finished wall hanging.  So many of you have said in the past that you were afraid of working with panels, don't be.  Just give it a whirl and you might be surprised!  Pull one out and if you need any help just message me and I'll see if I can help you. 



15 comments:

  1. Definitely a great border finish! I am too set in my ways with panels as I just add plain borders. I am inspired now to try something more interesting next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that is really cute! I love the asymmetrical borders. The panel is one of my favorites you've done, Vicki!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You do have a gift for making panels sing. This one is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great finish ready for Fall. Your borders are terrific adding great interest to the overall design of the panel. As Ramona said, your make your panels sing. They are so inspiring to those of us (me) who usually stay away from panels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your quilting on this one and yes those gingham pumpkins are too cute. Got to share this panel with my panel loving friend for more ideas. She got a new panel and doesn't know what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful finish. I was impressed to see fall pic on the linky party and wondered who was working ahead! Should have known it would be you. Makes me wonder about a panel or two I might have. I don't tend to buy them often but I know of at least two I have. Hum, do a panel or start one of the 4 projects I've pulled fabric for? Decisions, decisions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable project. What a wonderful panel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You made this into such a fun quilt! Just love that you mimicked the pumpkin plaid in the corner and the pinwheeels add a lovely touch of whimsy...perfect. The quilting, too, is just right. Great job on the panel.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! I really like how you built up the gingham in the corner! excellent idea :) And super cute wallhanging.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful wall hanging, Vicki. I love all of the quilting and your creativity with the borders.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such cute quilting, Vicki!!! And you know I love the gingham border tossed in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congratulations on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done! Pretty border, and great quilting designs ❤️

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html