Sunday, August 7, 2022

It was a busy week

It was a busy week with lots of fun thrown in.  We were in Iowa at the Pyrotechnic Guild International (PGI) fireworks event.  Hubby took in seminars while I was content staying in the air conditioning and sewing away in the fifth wheel.  Then in the evenings we went to see the fireworks displays, beautiful to see for sure! Three of the nights the public could attend in addition to us PGI members.  These displays were choreographed to music.  The other nights were for PGI members to watch the competitions of those that built fireworks. A lot of later nights than usual for us!



The weather was something else, hot and humid, yuck!  We thought we were going to kayak and bike in between events but we only took in a bike ride one morning. That ride led us into an arboretum, where we saw some lovely posies. I don't know what these purple and white ones are, anyone know?


I have never seen a peach water lily before, they also had a purple one which was to far away for a good photo.

There were several metal sculptures that were fun. But this butterfly caught my attention the most. 

I visited the quilt shop in Newton, Iowa. I mean how could I not stop there, look at the name of the shop!  I fit the bill good, I am a red head, a little crazy and I am definitely a quilter!  

A cute shop that had a couple tables of $5 a yard fabric.  I managed to find a few pieces to enhance my stash;)  

We also stopped at another shop in Osage, Iowa (Debbie's Quilt shop)-it was only a block out of our way!  Plus it was lunch time so hubby ate his in the camper and fixed me mine to eat on our way. I picked up a couple of panels there, you will get to see those pretty soon as they were fall and winter ones. 

I set up for sewing on the Island of the toy hauler fifth wheel the first day and then later I moved out into the fifth wheel garage area after hubby set up a table out there for me.   What am I sewing you ask...I am sewing strip sets for two round wedges toppers and two S swirl runners.  Later I went on to piece snowman runners and gnome runners.  I told you it was a busy week!!!

Traveled back home yesterday, so today I plan to do some quilting:)  How about you, how was your week or what did you do this weekend?

Linking up with:







12 comments:

  1. That looks like a fun trip! Amazing fireworks, quilts, flowers - if only it weren't so hot and humid. That would get to me, too! You've got to appreciate a hubby who will let you stop at the quilt shops! (Mine will do that, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing fireworks, I'm sure! Looks like you had fun. We had a good time in Minnesota, and I even stopped in Dell Rapids SD at the quilt shop on our way to the class reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a fabulous trip, Vicki. The fireworks photos are amazing. How fun that you were able to visit a quilt shop and set up your sewing machine and get in some piecing. Sounds like the perfect vacation. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That quilt shop had your name all over it! How fun. :) I'm glad you had a good trip, even though the weather was hot. I think those flowers are balloon flowers. I can't remember the "official" name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoa, Vicki, too much fun!!! PGI and quilt shopping!!!! Now, back to the sewing mines!?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, of course you had to stop at that shop! Wish I could've walked through it with you, so I could've helped you enhance your stash! Haha. Glad you could stay in where it was cool and sew!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun trip! Does you hubby make fireworks? I love the name of that shop and of course you had to stop! The flower is a bellflower, I think. I had some in my garden which is why I remember the name...I am not a gardener by any means. You are set up to sew...enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun trip. I take it your husband is a member of PGI? It's amazing what can be done with fireworks these days. When I watched the Capitol Fourth this year it seemed that the fireworks were doing different things than what is usually happening. Amazing how much sewing you got done during your trip. On the other hand, you came very prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In spite of the weather, you seemed to have had a great vacation! I am also curious about your husband and fireworks. What sort of seminars did he take? Does he compete? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those purple and white flowers look similar to a harebell or bell flower :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Vicki! WOWEE! What a fabulous fireworks display. I love watching them - it must have been fun to see different ones each night. Who knew there were fireworks competitions?! Yippee to stopping in both quilt shops. I would have hated for you to miss the Crazy Redhead Quilting shop. Who knows, you might have been pulled over and ticketed for missing it?!! I look forward to seeing those panels soon. It seems like you've got a good setup in the fifth wheel. I know you'll find a way to sew just about anywhere! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Vicki,
    I have some of those flowers out by my mailbox, and call them balloon flowers because just before the flowers open they look like little balloons.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html