Sunday, January 11, 2015

New purse for me!

About a month ago I ran across a free bag pattern and tutorial here, and now it is a finished bag for me! Surprise-it only took me a month to actually sit down and make it! Usually ideas/projects are roaming around in my head a whole lot longer than that!  In December I had won 2 patterns from Kansas Troubles and she included a little surprise of some of her fabric scraps. They were just perfect to use in this purse, several were 2.5" strips and some a bit more. Then I added the fabric for the sides, handle and lining. The only thing I did different was to add 2 pockets inside. The size of purse is great for me, the only thing I would change is to make the handles longer to carry on my shoulder. I didn't have enough fabric to do it for this one.  The measurements are 10" wide, 7" tall, and 4" deep.






I am also piecing some donation quilt tops, here is a disappearing nine patch.
 Friday I cut strips for 5 more donation quilts. I will be using an easy pattern from Wood Valley Designs called Criss Cross. Yesterday we had a little modern quilt group meeting for the first time. Then we could stay and sew in the afternoon. So I packed up my sewing machine, these strips and a few other necessities to sew with. We had about 12 of us there, some new to the modern quilt world and just wanted to learn what it is all about. Mostly it was our guild members enjoying sharing the quilt world~we had a great time.  So I sewed up the strips for 3 of the quilts, I hope to continue working on these this week.

Hope you are all having a very productive quilting weekend!
Check out the weekly eye candy at the linky parties on the left. I will definitely be joining in on some of them. 

6 comments:

  1. I totally love your purse! I need to make one for me. It will be my reward for finishing my modern farmers wife.

    And I really like the sweet colors of the quilt top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your purse Vicki!! I have one similar to it but I think yours is wider, like the style!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute purse! Wish I could do zippers. I have done several of those criss cross type quilts. The pattern I used was called Squared Pinwheels. I made it in cowboy fabrics, flame fabrics, a feminine floral, scrappy purple, scrappy pink, baseball ... you name it. It is adorable and goes together very fast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the style of that handbag. And what a great use of scraps! Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your bag looks wonderful. I think I need to declare 2015 as the year I learn to do zips so I can make something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done - sometimes ideas need to mature but sometime you just can't help getting stuck in! Keep using up the scraps and thanks for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html