Friday, August 4, 2017

Friday Finish-A panel

This week I have accomplished quite a bit again.  I quilted up several runners, got them trimmed, and now they are awaiting their turn at getting bound.  I also pieced a few more table runners.

However, this post is about a panel that has been finished and just waiting for the right time to get a picture.  It was overcast yesterday, but, there was a bit of wind so it didn't lay flat against the garage door.  See I used my big bar magnet again to hold it up.


The center part with the pumpkins is a panel from Timeless Treasures.  If you have followed me for a while, you know that I love working with panels. A lot of people buy them and let them sit in their stash. Now is the time to get them out and use them!  Don't be afraid of them.  Here is what the original looks like.


I look for a panel that can be cut up, I love to add interesting borders.  This panel was a bit wonky but not too bad. A little water, steam, starch and an iron made it behave much better.  I trimmed the panel along side the leaves and added a 1.5" green border all around. Now comes the creative part of adding different pieced borders. Sometimes I scour Pinterest for quilt border ideas, sometimes I just do my own thing.  The top and bottom row of little blocks in the panel will become something else some day.


The orange/beige checkerboard on one side and the top only, compliments the gold/black half square triangles.  In the panel the black fabric behind the leaves has a gold metallic dot, so in my stash I happened to have some black with metallic gold dots. Perfect for the HST's!  Also added was a little black metallic border on the top and left side to even things out to the right measurement for the size of HST's I used. 


You have been also getting some close up shots of how I quilted it. Hook swirl is quick, easy and effective for the center. Then a little custom for the borders consisting of straight lines in the green one, continuous curve in the HST's, and the checkerboard received some cross hatching.

Not so hard, right?  Fellow quilters dig out a panel and get creative!!  I'd love to see what you come up with.  

I also want to welcome aboard all my new followers I gain during the 12 Days of Christmas in July blog hop!  I read every comment and try to respond to them all.  However there were a lot of No-Reply bloggers, so if you don't hear from me check your status as I would love to chat with you!!!

Linking with Sarah and Myra today.




17 comments:

  1. Timeless Treasures does the best fall panels, I have done one in the past. I liked it so much I had 5 of the same panel that I quilted for charity giveaway, after adding borders like you did. Gorgeous colors, my favorite season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of our LQS's carry a ton of pretty cool panels. I keep thinking I should play with one, you might have convinced me to give it a go. I love the addition of your borders to this one. Celebrating your Friday finish with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips on using panels. I love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore the borders you put on the panel. This is a very pretty and unique piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vicki,
    Love this panel, especially the special borders you added. At first I thought my fav was the four-patch but on second glance the HSTs won me over. Love the whole thing! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your finished quilted panel is lovely, Vicki! I liked the green border - it pulled out the green in the pumpkin section for me. My favorite panel that I turned into a quilt was one of the Very Hungry Caterpillar. It made a great baby quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful fall runner. I have never used a panel, but might have to after reading your post. Love your borders.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am always so stymied by panels. I think they are pretty but it's like I my brain freezes when I try to see the possibilities of working with them. I like what you did with this panel - the borders add so much interest. Is this big enough to use as a lap quilt or is it more like a wall hanging?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very creative to use two totally different blocks around that beautiful panel, Vicki...love the variety & interest it provides! Also adding the little black strip...I never would have thought of that. Beautifully done!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the checkerboard/HST border, Vicki! What a pretty panel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You obviously have seen my stash. It takes courage to cut up my panels! I really like your choice of green for that first border. This whole top has given me ideas to make some tops! Thanks so much for sharing inspiration. mary in Az

    ReplyDelete
  12. You know I love to work with panels. This one turned out great, Vicki! I'm inspired by the creative blocks around the border and how you quilted them. And don't you just love finding the *perfect* matching piece in your stash, like that black with dots?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always love seeing your quilts from panels. This is no exception. What a beautiful fall wall hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't see many panels in my shops apart from children's designs, they make great quick quilts though, and I love the way you gave it some personality, now I'm sure I did buy one once, if I can find it..................

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the borders you chose for this panel.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html