Monday, May 21, 2018

Hooks and swirls

I made these three runners up, after I got back from Paducah, using some of the fabrics I bought while there.  The pattern is a GE Design from one of her books.  No affliation, I just liked the pattern.


I quilted the two on the left with an easy, fast allover hook swirl.  Sometimes it was one hook, sometimes two or three hooks. 




As I was quilting them I thought perhaps someone out there would be interested in seeing how I do them.  The person I learned the single hook swirl from was Angela Walters.   Then I went on to add my own thing.   Number 1. shows the single hook swirl.
Number 2 has two hooks and number 3 has three hooks.  Easy peasy right!  Do you use a white board to practice your designs?  If not run out and get one and practice, practice, practice (ppp).   It really does make a difference to train your brain on the white board, your quilting will become easier and smoother.  Really practice making nice smooth swirls.  Smooth lines for the swirl is the key, not necessarily the shape so much.


Here you can follow my path a bit to help you on your way.  Remember to change direction of your swirls from time to time.  It's OK to make big and small designs to fit in.  And one big thing is if you get yourself into a tight spot echo your way out OR throw in a swooping curve like indicated by the arrow in the photo above.   If you decide to add something, just do it more than once throughout the quilt and it looks like you planned it all along;)   If you have questions feel free to ask me.  Now go quilt something, have fun with it!!


Linking with MCMMonday Making and Linky Tuesday
Hoping everyone has a great week

12 comments:

  1. Quilting takes a level of creativity that I do not possess. I'll be the piecer and let the more talented (you!) be the quilter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make it sound easy! Your runners look great. Someone will snap those up from your Etsy shop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the quilting tutorial. I'm getting better at fmq, but have a very long way to go. I wish I could do as well on the long arm as I do on my sewing machine. It does take practice. Great table runners, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh - I never thought of adding more than one hook! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice little tutorial! I wish I had space for a nice big white board, that would be an awesome way to PPP. I use scrap paper from our terrible little ink jet printer, which usually take at least two tries to finish a print job. Lots of wasted paper, sigh. I really like the overlapping diamond pattern of those runners :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So does using a white board rather than paper help you get the feel for the design better? It's a great idea. I need to practice more, so thanks for reminding me that I need to put that on my to-do list. That's a fun design, and I love the runners!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vicki,
    Thank you so much for sharing the specifics on how you quilted these runners, as well as the method you use to draw them out and practice them. How cool! I do not have a white board yet - I was actually planning to pick up a clear acrylic board for the same purpose. I would place it over the quilted piece to draw out the pattern and hopefully the continuous quilting line. I'm going to PIN this for the future though. Happy Tuesday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tutorial, Vicki! Even if you weren't thinking of me when you did it, it felt like it was just for me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing your quilting designs! You are very generous to take the time to show how you draw it. Gonna have to try this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your swirls with hook and have even done the multiple hooks on a quilt before. It was perfect for a little monster quilt because it reminded me of claws. I had my niece doodling on a white board tonight in preparation for quilting on my Longarm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great runners and what a fun quilt design! I love a pointy swirl design but yours adds more pointy things it's great! I know you may not see this until blogger figures out the GDPR thing..

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html