Monday, October 1, 2018

Starstruck tutorial

Several of you asked for the tutorial for my Island Batik Starstruck table runner.  This is a simple tutorial for those of you already knowing how to piece a runner, which I assume that everyone that follows my blog does.

This is for one 13" finished block:  Using your favorite method of making HST's(half sq. triangles) make eight that will measure 3.5" unfinished (3" finished in your block) of a background and a main color.   Also cut four 3.5" sq. of background color.




This one is a little trickier but you can do it!  Cut four 1.5" x 5.5" strips of background.  Cut four 3.5" squares of main color and cut in half on the diagonal.  And sew as in the photo below centering your triangles on the background strip.  These will be over sized so you can trim to a perfect 3.5" sq.




Here is how I trimmed the first two sides. Notice how I have one of the diagonal lines of the ruler laying down the center of the background strip.  Trim the top and right side. Turn the block and ruler and trim the last 2 sides to measure 3.5" square.



 Cut four 1.5" x 6.5" strips of background and one 1.5" sq of main color.  Lay out as below and sew together.

My runner is made with 3 blocks with spacers in between.  I cut the spacer strips from background 1.5" x 13.5".  I also added on outside borders which I cut at 1.5" x the width of the runner and also 1.5" x the length of the runner.


If you have any questions feel free to ask!  And I hope you enjoy making your own runner.

Linking with Beth, Beth and Connie

23 comments:

  1. Good Morning! Thank you for the tutorial! I love your comments throughout, encouraging us that we can do it. And I think we can - or maybe I can. HAHA! This is a beautiful runner. Happy Monday to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Vicki! It's such a pretty table runner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the tutorial Vicki, it's a great runner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tutorial, Vicki! I have to make a gift for my quilt group Christmas party in December. Wouldn't this be fun in a couple of Christmas fabrics?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial, my friend! Love the stars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Vicki for the tutorial. I thought the table runner you showed last week was beautiful. Now I can do one also.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome! Thank you so much! This is such a beautiful runner.
    I finished the Diamond Dash top and I'm thinking of quilting it with a panto called Baroque hearts. I'm curious how you are quilting yours :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a gorgeous runner. Thanks for the tutorial Vicki.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you SEW much for this great tut...I hope to try making one up in REDs, as to me, it resembles poinsettias!! It would be a delightful Christmas gift for someone. Much appreciate you taking the time to photograph & then type up the directions. I’ve done that & it wasn’t easy for me to keep my pictures straight. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That really is an attractive runner. Thanks for the great tutorial! Stars are always a winner. How goes the battle to build your craft show stash??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Vicki! I see Christmas presents in my future. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooh, I like this one! I fell behind in my reading again, so I missed your previous post, but I think I picked up again at the right time. Thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent tutorial! Thanks, Vicky.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love! I'm so glad you shared this tutorial. Seems super fast and easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, do you see the snowflake inside the star? You may be starstruck. I am just Vicki-struck!!! Fabulous :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you! I’m going to have to remember this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful tablerunner and a great tutorial Vicki! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great block and tutorial. Thank you so much for linking up with the Tips and Tutorials Festival!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats, Vicki, for winning in the 2018 Tips & Tutorials Festival!!! This is a beautiful quilt block.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this block! The pieces look like they are floating. I definitely want to make a runner like this. Thank you for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congrats on your win, Vicki in the Festival! It is a great tutorial and well deserved win.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats on winning, Vicki! Love, love, love this pattern! Just made the table topper as a hostess gift for my sister.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html