Friday, April 29, 2022

The squirrels are running rampant!

Oh boy I couldn't resist another squirrel when I saw this tutorial at Center Street Quilts, I mean red tulips come on I had to stop everything and make them!  Especially I am only getting one bud on my tulips, they just don't like the environment and the pesky rabbits don't help.  DH got the cage around them earlier this year so maybe it'll really open before it gets chewed off!  


So happy that I had the red gingham on hand to tie it all together.  I must confess I am really smitten with this farmhouse style table runner.  


Each tulip is 8"x12", that is a good size block, but to get it to the length I wanted I added one inch finished background strips before adding the red gingham.  The overall measurement is 45"x 16".  



That wasn't the only squirrel that stopped by to torture encourage me to play:)  In the interest of using some precuts I searched for an idea for a mini charm pack.  Ya, ya I know that doesn't use much stash, but still!!  I found this tutorial at Fort Worth Fabric, it is called Day Sail and designed by Lindsey Weight.  

As you can see I am still on the polka dot kick:0  I just can't get enough of them!  This is a mini charm pack of Moda Grunge.  I have another one just like it, I won these a while back.  It was good to finally use one up.  




My plan was to use a fun allover quilting design, but when I got it on my longarm I couldn't resist spending the time doing a custom treatment.  I did use a template to do the grunge squares, and then freehanded the stipple in the background.


Well those were two DrEAMI squirrels that kept me occupied for a couple of days!  Next up is to get my OMG goal met.  That is what I will be working on today.  Have a fabulous weekend!



17 comments:

  1. You have some awesome squirrels visiting your studio! The tulip runner is wonderful! And it sure screams spring. Great finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both runners are so pretty, but I love the tulips! And you have all the right props for your photos, too - clever girl! I'm glad the squirrels are partying at your place - can't wait to see what else they come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both runner are pretty - but the tulips are fabulous!! Now you've sent another squirrel my way, because I'm so tempted to make some red flower blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these are all so neat - you have been busy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, these are cute, Vicki! I love your tulips with the gingham border. I have some yardage of gingham that I've been saving for just the right project - now you have me thinking! And mini charm packs of Grunge - who knew?! I might need some of those... Love how you set them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love both of these runners, Vicki. We've been away and I am soooo behind on blog reading. Hoping to catch up over the weekend so don't be surprised if you see a ton of comments from me on older posts...no need to respond to each one LOL. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yowza, Vicki! I can say which one I like more. The tulips are FABULOUS and the red is divine. I love everything about that runner - the dots, the gingham, the quilting. And the Grunge mini-charms are just the perfect choice for your second squirrel. It just looks happy! I'm leaning more toward the tulips only because the red and white plates just push the envelope over the top. LOVE these both. Great job. {{Hugs}} a bunch! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I love that tulip runner with the red gingham sashing!! I may need to use that sashing for one of my quilt along blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vicki, both table runners are fantastic! I love your “forever” red tulips. You can enjoy them all Spring long without worry of them being chomped off. The mini charm pack runner is so fun with the little squares quilted in circles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I'm so glad you made this runner! I have been searching for just the right tulip and this is it! I have downloaded the tutorial from Center Street Quilts. You also have given me an idea for the several mini-charms I have. Good squirrels!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Perfect with the red gingham!!! I wish the deer didn't like tulips so much!?! That pretty much makes it impossible for us to grow them. We have to stick with the daffodils.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That tulip runner is faaabulous! My husband, gardening guru, plants daffodils in with tulips to keep the rabbits away and heaven knows we have plenty of rabbits!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you have two bright and seasonal table runners to enjoy. Polka dots never go out of style, and fingers crossed for you that the cases help protect your buds this year!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, the tulip runner is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ah Vicki, you find the best designs..or make them yourself. I really like your tulips and the check fabric is icing on the cake. And the mini charms table runner…beautiful. Thanks for sharing the sources of both of these designs….now to remember to come back tomorrow to see your newest pattern release. I think a lot of the charm of both of these quilts is how you quilt them. I am quite green with envy — I can barely shove my long arm around any more. One of these days I will try to figure out what the problem is. Although, there is a reason why I have a computerized machine!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have great squirrels!!! Love that tulip one too!! So springy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous results from your DREaMi moments! The tulips are perfect with the gingham.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html