Monday, May 16, 2016

Island Batik May challenge




May is the month fora paper piecing  project for us Island Batik Ambassadors. We could do either regular paper piecing or english paper piecing.  I decided to try my hand at EPP since I hadn't done that before.

I chose to use paper templates that I purchased at Jo Ann's. The Island Batik fabrics I chose this month are from several different collections. The background is actually 2 of their 10" stack pieces from the London Fog collection as well as the leaves and stem. The outer hexies and binding are from Lavish collection while the center hexie is Grapevine from the Green Acres Collection.



Ok close your eyes and just imagine you are petting this delicious Island Batik fabric-it's oh so sleek and wonderful feeling!  I wish you could also feel the dimension on this wall hanging. Using a layer of Hobbs wool over a layer of their 80/20 gives it such character. The flower and leaves just bump out from the background which I quilted using a design from Christina Cameli.  Did you notice I also had to add the 3 little prairie points on the top-they just add an extra little touch to it.


                                     Threads used are Superior So Fine, Aurifil and Glide.


                                                               It measures 9.5" x 18.5"
You can check out a few of the other Island Batik Ambassador projects that have posted so far.

Next month will be a Modern challenge, I already know what I am going to do for that-can't wait!!

Linking up with several of the linky parties on my left side bar.

20 comments:

  1. Wow! I just love your quilting! The curves on the petals really accentuate the flowers and give them some softness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vicki, that is cute, cute, cute! I did notice the prairie points right away, and they are a fun addition to your mini. This will be fun to hang on your wall!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is super cute! The double batting gives such great texture. Did you quilt this on your longarm?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! LOVE LOVE LOVE! I'm gushing over here. The quilting is on point (to steal from my teenager's vocabulary) and those batiks are scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Tish! I just love this little quilt! It's made from my favorite colors and you know I LOVE batiks! Just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice.......of course, I really like your choice/execution of the quilting!!! Surprised???? Nah.........

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fabrics are gorgeous and I love your hexie flower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet, and terrific use of those fabrics. I love the 3 prairie points, too cool. Um so you show us a super-closeup of your gorgeous, stellar quilting (did you do it on your DSM?) and I STILL CANNOT SEE ONE OF YOUR TEENSY TINY INVISIBLE hand stitches in the EPP part!!!! Beyond amazing my friend. Now to go see what you're up to for the RSC...I've gotta get at that today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is so pretty and lovely. you did a fantastic job.
    quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is so pretty and lovely. you did a fantastic job.
    quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  11. Brilliant! Loving everything about this beautie, & I am surprised it was your first epp! More hexie's in your future perhaps? I also love seeing the bright colors coming out, & batiks used more & more in modern quilting - looking forward to next month too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like your curving quilting inside the hexies. It creates a nice contrast. Your background quilting is gorgeous too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This wall hanging is so adorable! I love that background quilting, it was the perfect choice for this project. I have recently discovered wool batting and am in love. I have some QD wool I am waiting to use on just the right project. :) Thanks for linking to MCM!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely mini, and the prairie points just make it. Your quilting is beautiful, and the perfect design too. I just love batiks.
    Smiles
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  15. thanks so much for linking up!

    great project!

    brooke@sillymamaquilts.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful little quilt Vicki!! I have got to try using the wool and Hobbs together! Did you applique the EPP flower to the background? That is a technique I haven't done yet. Your quilting is perfect!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html