Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Let's play some Football!!

Some days I don't know how ideas pop into my head, that is the case with this one.  They just dig in and don't let go.  Seriously I had never ever given thought to making something football related before.  But I just had to go with it.  Once again I went into EQ8 and sure enough there is a football that is perfect for what I needed.


Since I personally am not a football fan I turned to DH to give his opinion on what I was coming up with.  He thought I should have goal posts at each end.  Yep they are in EQ also!  But in the end I decided I liked the simpler version and went with that.  This was easy to piece and then I could spend the time appliqueing the footballs.  DH really liked the stitching on the outside of the football-blanket stitching by machine.


 I appliqued before quilting on this one so I could stitch around the white of the football stripes and also the line down the center of the football.  After the quilting I zig zagged the white ties on the center football only.   The other footballs are tumbling around where you can't see the ties;)

 Stipple quilting on the actual football field and straight line stitching on the side lines.

I am hoping that this will be a good seller in my Etsy shop where it is now listed.  It is team generic so it will go with everyone's decorating scheme!

I am thinking this was like a Squirrel for a DrEAMi moment.

Linking with:
Midweek Makers
Let's Bee Social
Wednesday Wait Loss
NTT
Put Your Foot Down


17 comments:

  1. What a great idea you had! I really like how you did the threads. And I agree with your husband on the blanket stitching too. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a fun idea! I bet it will be very popular in your shop! I think you'll get some requests for team-specific runners, too. You could put a team fabric in the end zones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you scored a touchdown on this one! I can see this being a popular item in your shop. Personally, I'm waiting for the baseball one (or soccer, volleyball . . .) Another fun finish, Vicki!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When an idea hits...go with it! Love the footballs! I think the fabric is perfect for the ball.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vicki! This is absolutely the definition of a little squirrel project, and what a great one it is. It is perfect for the whole season and any team. I just heard that rookies report for training in one month for the Packers, and the Houston is joining us for training this year. I predict it will be a big seller! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I'm sure this will be a popular item! Folks who love football seem to REALLY love it. And a cute, well made piece like this? Fun and unusual!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Keep those squirrels in your head! You make a great team! This is so clever and nicely done. I really enjoy all your inspirations and work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a huge football fan and I think this is almost perfect. That center football should be the Philadelphia Eagles logo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with Vicki W above!! This is so cute. The fabric for the football is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great inspiration Vicki, I can see you getting requests for other sports. I love your attention to detail.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clever idea, I bet it would be a big seller come football season. You may want to make a few more before Superbowl. Thank you for linking up with me today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this will sell for sure! So cute. You had a very clever idea. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're right, not a snowman! Great for a Super Bowl party, a homecoming, etc. Or just a Monday Night Football chip and dip party!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect for those in home football get-togethers!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the simplicity and universal appeal of your design—but wow! Your fabric selection is spot on. I was sure that first photo was a football shaped quilt on real grass when I first glanced at it. I have a feeling that this is sold already and that you’ll have people asking for more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Guess I read this in my inbox and never get over to comment...I love how you describe an idea just appearing, as that happens to me too from time to time. Funny I'm making a football quilt for Brady, a Cluck Cluck Sew pattern. This is super cute! Thanks for linking up with DrEAMi!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html