Thursday, April 30, 2020

Two patriotic card trick toppers

It seems people are getting ready to decorate for several patriotic holidays.  I have sold several in the last month.  So I decided to make some more and see if I can make a dent in my patriotic fabric bin.  

Here are two card trick toppers I made using this tutorial.  They measure about 34" across.  Not hard to make at all.  This one has more of an antique look with using tan instead of white or cream.



Don't you love the striped binding!  I used to think that binding these toppers were a pain in the you know what!  But after doing several I have gotten the technique down and it isn't bad.  You know the old saying practice, practice, practice.  Hobbs 80/20 batting and Glide Navy thread.

 And this one has a cleaner more modern feel don't you think?

Both of these I used the freehand allover hook swirl.  This one has a variegated red, white and blue thread on top. I believe it is a Star thread.  I don't have the label on it anymore.  And again Hobbs 80/20 batting. 

April has just flown by even with all the craziness of the world right now.  Other than not seeing family our lives didn't change all that much.  We are kind home bodies anyway.  But not being able to go to the fabric store and pet the fabric is starting to bug me!!  But perhaps that is not all bad as I am using up a bunch of stash, even though I can't really tell by looking at it, LOL 

Linking with NTT, Put Your Foot Down


10 comments:

  1. Beautiful topper. My patriotic decor goes up May 1st and comes down the end of July. Your items are so amazing that I'm not surprised they are flying out of your Etsy shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those tabletoppers are such a unique shape - I love the look of both of them! I'm glad you've figured out how to do the binding, too. Thanks for sharing the tutorial - I'll have to go look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not thinking patriotic yet - I still need to change out my Christmas pillows! Ha! I'm definitely missing quilt shop browsing, and my friends and sew days, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are going to town on your quilting! Great job! I love seeing the close-ups of your quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yoo-hoo! Hi, Vicki. I love this pattern for a table topper. It is one of my favorite, and you don't see it very often. We've made a queen-size card-trick quilt twice and I enjoyed the whole process both times. The color combinations are endless - and this is just perfection! The striped binding is a fun choice and truly reflects the flag. I can't believe tomorrow is May 1st already! Thanks for the closeup of your quilting - don't you think the variegated thread just makes it all the better?!! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. These turned out really great! Such an interesting shape that will add pizzazz to a couple of holiday tables. I think folks are really itching to have a big family party and hoping that can happen in July :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like them both. I wouldn't have thought of either one as modern. The quilting is just right for them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always wanted to do a card trick topper...might have to look up the site you recommended. I can see why they sell.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vicki, I love all of your table runners! I'm drooling over the card trick topper -- that will be a perfect gift for my girlfriend...thanks for sharing the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cool. I like the lighter fabric in the second one best. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html