Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Ruler work

Joining in the linky party at Amy'sConnie's and Lorna's this week.
This little quilt was part of a guild challenge back in 2011 and I wasn't making blog posts during that time. So I thought I would show it today as part of Amy's ruler linky party. The challenge part was that we were drawing a brown paper bag with fabric in it that we couldn't see and then we were to make something to display at our local quilt show. The fabrics were by season-I was lucky and got fall as I love fall colors.

Almost all the quilting on this little wall hanging is ruler work, yes ruler work takes a lot of time but the results are wonderful and I love doing it!  I wanted to share a little trick with you that is most helpful-if you are not sure what your design would look like on your quilt. Place a page protector sheet or a piece of vinyl on top of your quilt and use a wet erase marker to draw your design. Just be CAREFUL you don't over draw and it gets onto your quilt. I should have taped the edges of the page protector with blue painters tape which would help with this but I was in a hurry!

Hope everyone is have a great quilty week!!  I am piecing some runners from Anka's Treasure's new book On The Run Again-here they are.  

17 comments:

  1. Looks terrific! Beautiful quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ruler work is beautiful, Vicki. I just bought a curved ruler for my sit down. I am excited to try something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea with the overlay. I like your runners too. I've only made one so far but I think I should make a couple more - perhaps seasonal ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Love how you quilted your beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful ruler work! Love the idea of the overlay. I have to find a curved ruler. Looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking with Amy's page! Your quilting is amazing - a great example of quilting that is in harmony with and therefore enhancing the block it's stitched on...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your ruler work quilting is AMAZING! I struggle terribly with curved crosshatch. Yours is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous job with the curved crosshatching. I love me some CCX! And the border design is one I had meant to draw out for the blog, but forgot in my last minute rush! It's a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't tell you how helpful this is. I love actually seeing how other long armers work. Using page protectors to draw out ideas will really change how I approach putting designs on my quilts. It just isn't the same when I try to use paper/pencil. I can never tell how it will look in the space. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love, love LOVE your ruler work mini quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quilting, and thanks for the tip about drawing the quilting pattern on transparent plastic to audition the design.Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful quilting! Thanks for the tip. I just bought rulers to use with my domestic machine and this will really help me figure out what to quilt with them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your work on these. I do not have a blog but love, love to read all that I an that are out there for enjoyment and learning tips. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vicki, I love your ruler work. In fact I want to change my plan on a similar block by changing the direction of the ruler work. I like yours so much better.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html