Monday, March 21, 2016

Accessories

Good morning all, I hope you are all off to a good week to start Spring!  Today I am going to show you some accessories/projects I have made over the last couple months to help me in the sewing room and beyond.

Saturday for World Wide Quilting day I whipped up this cute little basket. The exterior fabric is from Island Batik from the Green Acres/Chicken Coop line.  Isn't it so cute!  I was watching some of the shows on The Quilt Show site Saturday morning and Alex Anderson demo'd this. It was so easy I ran right into the studio and made it.  I used 12.5" squares of the Batik, the inside green fabric, and the batting. Sorry I don't know which episode I was watching as I watched more than one show! I quilted straight lines, before the final assembly of the basket, using Superior Threads Bottom Line in my bobbin and Aurifil for the top.


This cute little bag I made to carry my little Steam Fast iron in. I belong to a little Mod Squad quilt group that meets once a month to share, learn and sew together. My little iron travels with me, and if I don't turn it off soon enough it's hot when I am packing up. So I lined the bag with the silver ironing board cover fabric. There is a free tutorial for the bag here.

Just make sure you empty the water out of the iron before traveling with it... go ahead ask me how I know, LOL



Do you have trouble with your sewing machine pedal running away from you?  I certainly did, it's on carpet and it ran away all the time and it is just a pita. A long time ago I saw this tutorial on Pintrest(where else, LOL) and thought I should make it but never got around to it.  A few weekends ago I said now is the time and whipped it up in about in less than an hour. The green rubbery drawer liner I found at the Dollar Store. I chose to make the 'stopper' a little different than in the tutorial. I thought it needed a bit of weight so I made a fabric tube, closed one end, then filled with flax, sewed it shut. Then attached it to the back of the piece.
It isn't the end all answer but it is 90%  better I'd say as my pedal doesn't run anywhere near as fast!


Linky's this week that I will be joining...

16 comments:

  1. My pedal moves too, but it doesn't go too far! I usually just grab it with my foot ( I have to sew without shoes). But for less than 1 hours work, it might be worth it to make one of those holders. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are such perfect (and useful too) little items for sewists and quilters. I will suggest these to my Guild ladies for the Boutique shop at the upcoming Annual Quilt Show.
    Preeti.
    http://sewpreetiquilts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to make one for my pedal and yet to make a basket, too. Both are on my to-do list. However, at this point my pedal isn't going anywhere because there's a storage box between it and the wall, keeping the pedal in place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fast fun projects. Do you put the cord in with your warm iron or let it hang out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I really need the pedal stopper. All projects ore useful and cute though. Thanks for the links.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute projects! I think I need to make one of those pads for my sewing machine foot. Mine tends to run away as well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All such handy accessories Vicki! Your travel iron bag is pure genius!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The little basket is so cute in that fabric line Vicki!! I have made lots of those and have a tutorial on my blog. http://www.conniekresin.com/2014/12/fabric-baskets-tutorial.html Great idea to put the weight on the pad to hold your sewing machine foot petal, I just use the drawer liner now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All cute but I especially love that little basket and the colors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. All cute but I especially love that little basket and the colors! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the pedal pad. Mine's on hardwood floor, and it's always creeping away. I have to hook it with my foot and drag it forward every time I'm ready to sew a new seam!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have the same trouble with my foot pedal! Great idea. THe basket is super cute, the button makes it! Now I want to make a bag for my travel iron too! This was an action packed, practical post! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Replies
    1. Great ideas! I have carpet and mine creeps away too. That little fabric basket is delightful. (messed up the first time I tried to post, sorry!)

      Delete
  14. You are just too smart. And fast! Going to bookmark this post so I can refer back to it, as I could use all 3 of these. Oh how I love that iron!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the pedal holder/stopper. Is there some of the rubber shelf liner on the backside too? I need to take a look at the tutorial. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html