Monday, July 30, 2018

Working vacay


The hubby signed us up to go to Oshkosh WI to the EAA Airventure and camp on site at Camp Scholler.  He loves airplanes and flying, me not so much.  I do love watching some of the air shows but I am not into walking through all the planes, exhibits and vendors.  He loves it all . So I stayed in the camper sewing happily away while he was enjoying himself. Then later in the day we would go to the air show or the evening one.  Those big planes are pretty impressive and the maneuvers they can do, wow!  At night the planes are all lit up and even have fireworks shooting from the planes.  And there was also ground fireworks after the show.



A working vacation is pretty much what I had this past week from Wednesday until Sunday anyway.
This was my work station in the camper.  I have a pretty decent set up with things at my finger tips that I need.

I use my smaller Janome in the camper.  Walmart had this little fold up portable table that doubles as my ironing surface or just project holding table;)  I have a portable rolled up ironing mat and a little steam fast iron. I love that little iron!  It was a trooper even for pressing long strip sets!
I have lots of good storage for projects in the drawer under the couch and the sewing machine fits in the cabinet under the TV. A couple of my rulers even fit in the seat cushion compartment.  Yes the chair seat cushion lifts up and there is secret compartment!



First I sewed 2 sets of strip sets to make pieced borders, then I assembled 4 of these leaf table runners, not bad for 3 mornings of work!  I did have all the leaf blocks pieced before leaving home.


DH got up early each morning to go watch the Ultra light planes and powered parachutes and gliders fly.  I slept in a little then got up and sewed:)













The fun thing was that a lot of the airplanes flew directly over the camper or over the campground so I could watch a lot of them while sewing!  The little specks in the sky are powered gliders and I think one powered parachute.  This was looking out my camper door at 8am.


OMG the campground was crazy!!!!  I think everyone in the USA that owned a camper was there, LOL  The grounds opened the Sunday before we got there, and we arrived on Wednesday afternoon.  When you check in they tell you to find a spot and park your camper-WHAT?  There are no designated spots, just squeeze in where your unit fits!  It was slim pickings for spots we could fit in.  The next day there were several campers that left and we could have had a better spot. But we didn't want to go to the work of tearing down and setting back up. We filled our water tank and it lasted the 4 days, we had bought a pair of generators before we went and they powered the AC, my sewing machine, iron, and microwave.  It worked out really good.  The only thing I missed was not having good WiFi.  We had to hop a bus to a hot spot within the campground or on the grounds of the Air show.  So I didn't get to check in or respond to many of your comments on the past 2 posts until I got home.  

So this week I am going to try to quilt up a storm!  Hope you all do too:)

Linking with Connie  this week.









14 comments:

  1. How fun! I love seeing your set up in the RV. My first husband was totally into air shows, so I know where you're coming from. A little bit goes a long way, ha! Love the deep, rich colors in your runners. Those will be very popular :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vicki! It looks like you have a fabulous setup when sewing on the road. The windows sure help to keep you as involved as you want to be, and you don't feel like you're missing anything important. You got a lot accomplished, and those runners look great. I didn't know they didn't assign spots for that campground. Good grief, that sounds like it could be a hot mess! I'm glad it all worked out. Happy Tuesday to you! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those table runners are really beautiful, love the colors! What fun to be able to sew while on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed having a peek at your sewing home away from home! I love the table runners you made, too - such beautiful colors! Sounds a little crazy at the campground, but you were definitely close to the action. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too am surprised they don't assign spaces with all those big rigs pulling in there! Your set up looks just perfect! And your runners, well, they're gorgeous as usual!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you have a great setup to sew on the road. I am really loving that purple in with those fall colors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Camping and sewing are two of my favorite activities. Love the table runners. The colors are so pretty. These will be a hit for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never thought of purple as a fall color but that is gorgeous Vicki! Yummy finishes! Love your efficient setup there in your RV! I think I would be the same as you. I enjoy the airshows, not the mechanics so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Vicki, I live very close to the Air and Space Museum in VA. Your DH is welcome to visit while you and I will get some serious sewing done :-) Love the leaves, the colors are just perfect - so fall like. Oh how I could use some fall weather in the middle of this nasty hot and humid spell.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vicki you always quilt up a storm! LOL I’m with you I’d be in the camper sewing, and what a lovely camper you have!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute leaf table runners! No airplane table runners? You probably could've sold them as soon as they rolled off your machine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those leaves are great! Is there a pattern? Is it paper pieced? I'd love to try out a camper one day. Hubby could hike to his hearts content, and I could stitch to mine. Great vacation for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is such an amazing set up! I love it that you found a way to accompany him. The fireworks must have been beautiful. I can easily imagine campgrounds being crazy for these events. My husband races for hobby and it's the same way for car events too. The table runners are beautiful, I really love the colours you chose for them. Enjoy quilting them :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a neat experience. Your leaf runners are going to be gorgeous. I haven’t sewn on vacation since Cheetah's eagle project three years ago.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html