Friday, December 21, 2018

Wonky or Whimsical

We could choose between Wonky or Whimsical or both for the theme of our Island Batik Challenge for December.  Yes how in the world did it get to be December already-the year has just flown by!

I chose to be a bit wonky for my project.  In my foyer sits this cabinet with a skinny stop, it looks a bit naked without a runner.  It is a shame, to be in a quilters house and not have a runner on it!












My process to make this runner was simple really.  Once I picked out red and green Island Batik strips (leftover from other projects) to see how many  I had to work with.  I measured the top and well I needed a few more so I added in the gold ones and it came out just the right size.

The sewing is what makes them wonky.  I laid the first strip down and placed the other one on top at a skew and sewed.  Continuing down the length of the runner.  You can see in this close up how I alternated between a fat skew and a skinny skew on the top of each strip.

After sewing all the strips I squared it up then quilted it with squiggles all freehand and on my longarm. Hobbs Thermore was my batting of choice this time.  I love it for these small projects that I want flat.


                                          It was a quick but fun way to dress up this cabinet. A perfect place to display some of the snowmen I make for my local craft shows and Etsy shop.



As an Island Batik ambassador I have been given fabrics by Island Batik, batting from Hobbs and Aurifil thread for my monthly projects.  I love being an ambassador, it has helped me stretch my quilting methods and grow as a quilter.  Not to mention I get to use some of the greatest fabrics ever!! 

  Next month is our blog hop showcasing the fabric they released at fall Quilt Market, it is going to be so fun so don't miss it!!  If you don't already, you should follow Island Batik's blog, where you will receive all the info about the hop.  There is always prizes for the hops!!

Wishing all of you a wonderful, fun filled Holiday season.

Linking with Whoop Whoop, TGIFF, Foto Fun





10 comments:

  1. I like it!! and it fits perfectly on that cabinet!! Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! It sure brightens up your cute cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love scrappy quick projects like this too. I have a tutorial on Craftsy and I just added it to Makerist too, for making a QAYG one very similar, but not wonky. Have you heard if you will continue next year as an ambassador?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is just perfect for the top of your cabinet, Vicki! Love the colors and wonkiness of it. You're right, no horizontal surface in a quilter's house should be uncovered, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That little wonky is just perfect for that spot! It looks great with your gathering of snowmen. (Want to come decorate my house??)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vicki! That is a beautiful cabinet which has now been enhanced by your wonky runner. Really cute and cool, and I see now reason why every flat surface isn't covered with something quilted. Enjoy and Happy Happy Saturday to you!! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect skinny cupboard topper for a quilter's home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did you have a blank surface like that in your house? It looks great with this wonky runner. Love those beautiful metallic fabrics in Christmas colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your runner looks great! It adds so much color and flair.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html