Thursday, April 11, 2019

Accuquilt baby quilt-Island Batik challenge

It's just natural to think Spring when April comes around.  Hmmm, as I write this post Mother Nature is pulling a dirty trick on us by dumping another 5 inches of snow!  As if MN hasn't had enough this year.  But I am not going to let it bother me as it won't stick around long.

Anyway I was thinking about Spring when I started my Island Batik ambassador challenge for April.  The challenge is to make a baby size quilt using the Accuquilt Go ultimate fabric system we were given this year by Accuquilt for being an Island Batik ambassador.  How cool is that!!


After much deliberation I finally decided to make mine on the modern side.  I really wanted to try out these two dies to see how well they made flying geese units.  

I am happy to report they did a fabulous job!  I am so pleased with not having to cut off the dog ears and wow they are the perfect size when I was all done! And just think of all the time you can save since you can cut up to 6 layers of fabric at once.  I had thought from time to time about getting a system but well let's face it, they are not inexpensive.  BUT after using this cutter I am lovin' it and I do think I will use it a lot in the future.  Of course I wish I had even more dies.  I would love to have the 1.5" strip die for sure.  I would use that a lot for the little inner borders I put on my table runners.  Well maybe some day:)

Here is how the 8" cube looks, all cute in their own little folders.  Each die has it's own block design on a card for easy reference.  



Here is what all we received from Accuquilt. Not pictured is a book from Eleanor Burns for making a ton of different blocks with the cube.  

Ok back to the quilt I made using the Accuquilt Go.  I made flying geese in several different colors of Island Batik's Paisley Dot collection.  For the background I used Island Batik white solid.  Yes they make solid batiks in white, gray and black.  I really like their solids!  It is very white, you can see that much better in the close up photos.


Did you notice the pop of color in the binding?  


I really like that I didn't loose any of my points in the geese units. 

This shot is so you can see the texture in the quilting.  I used a layer of Hobbs cotton batting with a layer of their Thermore on top of it.  I really had fun with the quilting, straight lines, wishbones, large pebbles and swirls all go perfectly in modern quilts.  




I used the Accuquilt 2.5" strip cutter to cut my binding. 




I love how a quilt looks all rolled up.


As an Island Batik Ambassador I was given the fabric, batting and Accuquilt Go. 








25 comments:

  1. Hi Vicki! What a great finish and I'll bet it was fairly quick to put together too. I've been trying to talk Sue into an Accuquilt cutter for years now to no avail. I love the quilting patterns you chose. If I tried to quilt all nice and straight like that, everyone would surely notice that I cannot stitch a straight line! The colors are so nice and Spring-like, and adding those colors in to the binding really makes them pop. Happy Thursday to you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun, modern baby quilt, Vicki! Great quilting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! When I first looked at it, I did not see flying geese. I was really wondering how you used the cutter for it. I love the design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does feel like a spring quilt! And quite modern. Your quilting is highlighted so well...that texture is killer good! And I'm jealous of the Accuquilt cutter! Who wouldn't want one of those 'tool's?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Be still my beating heart! This quilt is gorgeous! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice baby quilt. I tried to win one of the cutters, years ago (didn't happen). Too expensive for my budget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a 12" qube and have been thinking of getting the 8 inch some day thanks for showing it

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fancy and modern! I knew you would be loving that die cutter!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilting is inspirational to me! So uniform and neat, sigh. And I love the modern feel of this piece with the pops of color in the geese chevrons. Great design!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You nailed the modern look with this quilt. Love the quilting you did on this quilt Vicki! Batik fabric is the result of the process of applying a wax resist to fabric and dying to create the designs that become a batik fabric, so a solid isn't really a batik fabric, but the fabric they use before the wax process, right? Oh to have the space for a die cutter, long arm quilting machine, design wall. Well I do what I can with the small space I have and there isn't room for those things that would make my quilting life easier and faster. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your baby quilt! What a fun design - the bright colors are so pretty and it really showcases your quilting, too. I've thought about getting an Accuquilt cutter, too - but I got a sewing machine instead, lol! I would definitely like the cutting accuracy it gives you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun quilt. Like what you did with the binding. And such pretty quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now what modern mommy wouldn't want this baby quilt! It's fresh and cute and would work for any baby. I love the quilting you did on it and yay for perfect points! This is a really great project, Vicki. You make a great IB ambassador. I just know you'll have a successful quarter getting all these UFO's finished and out the door too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't realise they were fly geese! Great design and gorgeous quilting!

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful quilt design and your quilting is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow Vicki! My March and your April are kind sorta twinsies :-) Love this! Wonderful quilting on that beautiful white.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful!!!! I love the colors and the binding with the pops of color at the corners is so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous, Vicki! The bright colours are fabulous with that perfectly white white and the quilting is amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Getting the GO was a real treat. I'm glad you're an ambassador. This is a wonderful quilt design, and the quilting is really great on it. Is it a keeper or a donation?

    ReplyDelete
  20. A beautiful modern baby quilt! The pop of color in the binding looks great!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html