Monday, July 1, 2019

Cobblestones table runner

Working with batiks is fun, my grandson is drawn to them also.  When he comes over he runs his hands through a pile of them I have in my cutting table cubbies.  He hasn't learned there are different brands of them though.  And with different brands there is different qualities.  He keeps asking me why I don't use them more often.  While I prefer Island Batik brand, I have decided I need to sneak in a few things here and there with other brands I have in my stash.  That is what this runner is made with-other brands.

The pattern is an easy one to piece, but still very effective in delivering a 'cute' punch.  I love the modern feel while using more traditional fabrics.  But as you look around the internet and at quilt shows you will see batiks making themselves shown in a modern form these days.  I love the versatility. 

With this style of runner I like doing custom quilting to punch it up a notch.  U turn quilting is a favorite of mine for sashings and small borders.  And wishbones in the rectangles, what can I say I love quilting them!  While straight line quilting for borders leaves an interesting effect when they intersect in the corners. 


A nice orange peel design done with a circle template is a great choice for square blocks.  I think the block on the right might be an Island batik after all, see I can't stay away from them!  The cobblestones pattern is designed by Dragonfly Fiber Art(not affiliated, just a happy customer).

What have you got planned for your week?  Our son and DIL will be down to visit for a few days, hopefully our daughter and grandsons will be over also.  But until Thursday I hope to get lots of sewing done.  

Linking with MCM, and Design Wall Monday



11 comments:

  1. do you use your domestic machine or long arm - I like your design on the table runner

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a really nice design for a table runner and I love the quilting on it. U turns (didn't know they were called that) are one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like quilting u turns too. It's a lovely table runner. Have a great time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a fun design, Vicki! I really like the cobblestone effect with the background fabric in different widths between the squares and rectangles. So fun to see what you do with the quilting - it adds so much to the simple design!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun story of your grandson understanding your selectivity of some brands over others! The quilting is perfect. Plans....well we leave our island retirement home in Maine to see our son and take a friend to dinner for her birthday. Its odd to travel on the 4th and wouldn’t be our choice, but it is due to our son needing a shot every 2 weeks - he can’t administer on his own yet - someday soon! Enjoy the 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the colors in this one, they compliment each other well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are on a roll making table runners and I am on a roll making bags, lol!! Who doesn't love batik fabrics, whatever brand they may be?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vicki! Ahh, I didn't know that quilting pattern was called u-turns! I just call them loops, but u-turns makes much more sense. This is a nice modern runner and it looks like it may have made a small dent in your stash. Thanks for the nice closeup shots - you know I'll be PINing them. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the runner with its modern vibe; it can be used so easily in so many ways! Fun to hear that your grand likes to feel the fabric, and loves to help you quilt. Great memory building time together! Enjoy the time with family this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't have many batiks in my stash, but I have noticed the difference in quality between them. Your runner looks great, and that last photo with the IB shows how super their designs are.

    I'm quilting up a red, white and blue orphan block top from Kat at Covered in Love. It's fun to work with all the patriotic fabrics this week! And boy are there some SERIOUS differences in fabric quality in these blocks. I swear some of them are made of cardboard...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html