Monday, September 30, 2019

Child's Play flimsy is done

The September Island Batik project is featuring an Accuquilt die.  The die I received to use for this month's project is the BOB(block on board) Crossed Canoe die.

The theme is Childs Play, so I thought of our grandsons who love to ride in our kayaks which is pretty close to a canoe;)  And they love to play with legos with bright colors.  So of course I chose bright colors from Island Batik along with their solid gray, white and black.

I have never made a crossed canoe block before so I was really happy to receive this from Accuquilt. The Block on Board die consists of all the pieces you need to make a specific block all on one die.  You can see in that this die uses two colors in one block.  By looking at my blocks above you can see I used three colors in one block.  This caused me to do some thinking of how to place and cut the fabric in the right spot on the die.

First I cut rectangles of my background fabrics 5" x 6.5" with my rotary cutter and ruler, then they were sliced from corner to corner. 



 Those were then placed on the die as you see below in layers of 6 and ran through the cutter.


Next I cut wedges of bright Island Batik fabrics to cover the center canoe shape in the die. 


The sewing of these pieces are a breeze because the Accuquilt die has the corners cut so everything lines up perfectly!  Before long I had 8 blocks done.  I used white Auriful thread for all the piecing. 



I managed to get it all pieced into a flimsy this weekend and planned to quilt it today(Monday). However we had an unexpected trip out of town today that took a bit longer than expected and I have run out of time to quilt it.  I am hoping by the end of the week to have it all quilted and bound.   In the four years of being an Island Batik ambassador I don't think I have ever not had a totally done project and I feel really bad.  I promise to show you the finish soon. 


Disclosure: The products used in this quilt were given to me by Island Batik Accuquilt and Aurifil.  Along with the solids from Island Batik I also used brights from their Petting Zoo line. 



Linking with NTT, Midweek Makers

12 comments:

  1. You are doing good if this is the first time you are a bit late! Super nice quilt, love the way you did the background!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knowing you, the quilting is going to look fantastic! You can't be perfect on timing all the time. Sometimes we just can't get it all done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great quilt for a child. I love the fabrics you used and you know I love the bright colors. Great block for the accents, too. When I first looked at the block, I thought of jacks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vicki! This is such a cute quilt. Rather than kayaks I see jacks instead, but either way it certainly represents child's play. Very clever about how you cut the fabrics. I does take a bit of planning but the accuracy of the cuts certainly makes up for that, right?! I have never seen this block before, either, but it's a fun one. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll have this done and quilted in no time, so no worries. It's a cute quilt and I know your littles are going to enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun block! And you chose great bright colors for it. I know you'll do a super job with the quilting :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is gorgeous! It looks like some elaborate mind/board/boat game is about to begin on the quilt. You will get it done...life happens.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you did with the crossed canoes, Vicki! Very colorful and fun. Perfect for a child's quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that's a fun quilt! And so easy with the die.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love these colors and the split background!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like how you reversed the colors in the background sections as well as in the blocks. And what a neat idea to use the LEGO color scheme for the kayaks. I’m sure not being quite done won’t be an issue with such a wonderful showcase of what can be done with the die cutter.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html