Monday, November 4, 2019

Buffalo plaid snowman and light box

When I visited the craft show last Thursday I noticed a lot of buffalo plaid decor.  So of course on the way home I kept thinking about how I need to get some and make a runner.  I stopped at Jo Ann's and sure enough they had one with snowflakes in their Christmas fabric.  Well you know I had to get some (I might have gotten a few other prints too). I mean with a sale and then 25% off coupon too how could I pass that up!

I opened up EQ to see what designs I might be able to pull together in there.  Next thing you know I had these cutie pies drawn up and texted a friend to run it by her. She liked it;)


Over the weekend I cut, pieced and quilted it.  After cutting my applique pieces I just wasn't sure I liked the red and green.  Something about it bothered me.  Again I texted my friend, Wendy, she still liked the red and green because it was a pop of color.  I decided I needed to set it aside for the night. I really appreciated Wendy's input but...

The next morning I knew why it was bugging me, I didn't want it to look like he was wearing a santa hat.  I just wanted him to wear a regular stocking hat.  I auditioned many different fabrics and even had my hubby involved.  He encouraged me to look at what I liked about my other snowmen runners.  They are all gray/red/white/.   Hmmm that got me to thinking and it came together quickly then.  Here is the finished one.  I even redid the shape of his hat cuff.

After snapping several photos I managed to get ones I liked and he is now listed in my Etsy shop, well he was in there last night and he sold in a couple of hours!!  Guess what I'll be making again this week:) 


Did you notice the striped binding, it makes me a bit giddy!  The snowflakes are stenciled on.  I used a fabric paint from Pro Chem and stencils from TSC Designs.  

I have something new to show you.  My new light box for tracing designs onto fusible web!  I know there are many light boxes out there to purchase. But I asked my hubby if he could build one and a week later I am using it!  I love it.

He ordered LED light strips from Ebay and used double stick tape to hold them down to the box he made.  On top he placed a sheet of plexi glass. 


Here you can see the Precision Fusing Mat I lay over the top of the pattern pieces. The mat holds the pattern in place and I place the fusible web on top and trace away.  Plus those lights are super bright and hurt my eyes if I don't have the mat over the top before I turn it on.  For someone that never really liked doing applique I sure seem to be doing a lot of it!  Of course it is all done on my sewing machine.  And I know that I will be using this light box a lot!  




16 comments:

  1. Oh my cuteness! This runner wins the prize!! Love your light box, too. Your hubby did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much better with the gray hat! Buffalo plaid is very popular right now. I was even thinking of changing my Christmas decor to plaid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the runner with the gray hats! Perfect! It's nice to have a handy husband on hand!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your runner is wonderful! It looks so much better in fabric too and yes it's good to go with your gut instinct when something isn't quite right. I am amazed at how well you sell on Etsy and how fast too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vicki! This is the best snowman runner you've made so far! I just adore the black dots, black/white checks and then the buffalo plaid with snow flake fabrics. I have to agree with the change you made to his hat - I like it better without the red/green. I can see why it sold so quickly. And snowmen are easily good to use until February or March, so you still have lots of them to make and sell. That light box is brilliant. I'll bet it's not too heavy, either. Nice! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. That buffalo plaid with the snowflakes is great, Vicki! Looks like you had fun figuring that one out, and it so cute! I'm impressed with your new light box, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh -- the change to that hat is perfect! Now those are true Minnesotan snowmen - haha! I think we both need to dig out our stocking hats; sounds like we may need them soon! What a clever hubs, making that neat lightbox!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that might be the cutest snowman runner you have made. i like it....a LOT. great job. too bad i don't use runners, i would buy it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your DH is so handy! And he's obviously very helpful in the design department, too. Mine just fixed the Juki after many hours of tearing it all apart. What would we do without these guys?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Buffalo Snowmen is wonderful. I liked the red and green but it definitely made it more Christmas oriented than what you chose. Congrats on selling it so fast. I've got a husband-made light box too but it is so big I seldom drag it out. But very useful when I do. Enjoy your cool, indoors-time-to-quilt weather.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your hubby is one handy guy! Mine is homemade also, using an (antique?) briefcase. Great solution on the hat! And those snowflakes are the best!!! Stencil?! Convenient!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute! I like your adjustment of hat colors — it works all winter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There is a lot of buffalo plaid out there. This runner is perfect and you were right about the hats. I love appliqué but there is a lot that wouldn’t get done without fusible season. Your light box is fab!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Vicki, what a cute snowman runner. If you get the chance, please link up to Free Motion Mavericks. We'd love to have you join the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a clever light box! Love the gray snowman hat.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html