Saturday, December 14, 2019

Scrappy squares

The craft season is almost done, it's been fun but I am so ready for a nice winter break!  Time to work on using up some of my mounds of scraps.  A few weeks ago the grandsons, age 6 and 8, were here for the day.  I had them help cut a few 2.5" squares with my Accuquilt.  Then they were anxious to sew but we didn't have enough time. 

They were supposed to sleep over tonight, but the oldest one wasn't feeling too well.  The younger one still wanted to.  So it was playing legos a lot of the time. However he remembered we needed to sew those squares!  Into the sewing room we went.  We decided on 5 blocks of blue first, he picked and arranged the squares while I sewed them.  I only gave him one rule, don't use the same fabric twice in one block.  He did very well.  Next we moved onto 5 green blocks. 


I know it didn't use much scraps, but it sure felt really good to be playing with the scraps again.  I am not sure that I have taken time all year to play with them.  If you ask what I'll be making, all I can say is a quilt of course.  No idea what the layout will be yet or how many blocks I'll need.  

I hope you'll check back Monday for my Island Batik 3D challenge project.

Linking with Oh Scrap!



14 comments:

  1. They are really good helpers in your sewing room, I know that for a fact :-) He did a great job of choosing the squares! Will be fun to see what you do with them. I hope his brother feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing like sewing with the grandkids. Mine are not old enough yet but I do remember teaching my sons to sew. For some reason the scrap piles takes it time in going down. Lovely squares.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love playing with scraps! Sounds like you have fun. And of course you deserve a break after all those shows, cuz you're a rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did your grandsons love the accuquilt?? My son is 6 and he absolutely loves to crank it! We're making him a scrappy butterfly pillow--he enjoys sewing with me from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a fun time with your grandsons, Vicki! It's too bad the 8 year old wasn't feeling well, though. I love those 9 patches with the light center! Mari at The Academic Quilter finished a quilt recently with those type of 9 patches, if you need some inspiration.

    https://academicquilter.blogspot.com/2019/11/simple-hollow-and-pointed.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vicki! Not only was it fun playing with scraps again, but I suspect it was even MORE fun playing with scraps with your grandson. How nice that he remembered. How did he like cutting the fabrics with the die cutter? I would think that would be right up his alley. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Scrappy stitching with your GS? Sounds like a perfect day to me! I'm glad to hear that your busy busy busyness has finally relaxed a bit. I hope you enjoy these final days of the holiday season, Vicki :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful activity for you and your grandson to do together. LOVE!!! Reminds me of "quilting" with my boys when they were young. They were always thrilled to be allowed to press the "go pedal."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awe, you made some good memories and stories for them to tell someday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you finally get to wind down and take a break! What a great project for kids. Having them arrange and pick the fabrics is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love blues and greens. It doesn't matter how you put them together, I am sure the outcome will be gorgeous. Happy sewing! -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how your grandson remembered the sewing project. He did great! Did he choose the light square for the center, or was that already in the plan? I hope your other grandson feels better soon so he can join in the creative fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How fun to have a helper! I would love to see a quilt made with just those blue and green blocks. They are so pretty.

    Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html