Monday, April 27, 2020

Gray and Yellow Square in a Square

Wow I am excited, from start to finish in a week is this yellow and gray Square in a Square quilt!  Several of my To Do Tuesday goals got thrown out the window in order to start something new;)  Yep that is the way I roll most days especially at this time of the year.  I get up and decide what I want to work on that day.  It's all good as long as I get something done right?

For a few years I have collected gray and yellow fabrics, I just love that combo.  I used some for a Radio Way quilt from Jaybird Quilts once. Then I collected more and I was just waiting for the right pattern to say use me.  A week ago that happened and I jumped right in and never looked back;)


The pattern called for a layer cake so I cut my own from my assortment of yellows/grays.  And the process began and it went super fast.  I had it cut and pieced in a day and a half.  The tutorial for this is HERE.


Then I admired it on the design wall for a few days and then Friday it got it's turn on the longarm.  Well in truth it jumped ahead of several others in line. But like I said as long as I am doing something it is all good;)  I think what prompted the finish was seeing another quilt I had done with this quilting design and I really liked doing it and how it looks.  It's the hook swirl design but with 3 hooks instead of a single one.


It also helped that I had a wide gray backing in the stash.  When Jo Ann's has a 60% off coupon I stock up!  This quilt is now in my Etsy shop.  

Linking with: 





12 comments:

  1. I love this quilt! You may just have started a new trend, finishing a whole quilt in a week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what all the whoopin' and hollerin' was that I heard the other day -- you sewing with reckless abandon over there! Haha! Love the quilt - I assume you're keeping this one for yourself?? I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grey and yellow looks so good together. Yep, we have to just go with the flow these days. Staying busy / productive works for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubby loved your Kokapelli table runner. He thinks I need to make one for his mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Vicki! I just ADORE this color combination. It has been popular for years and has had its varied ebb and flow. Andrea used these colors for her wedding and has it in her bathroom. Every time I see her bathroom, I am reminded how nicely these colors coordinate together. I suspect this quilt will only be in your Etsy shop a short time. Three hooks on the quilting design?!! That's a new one to me. What a great finish. I'm glad it cut in front of others awaiting their turn on the long arm. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those grays and yellows are a great combination, and sounds fun to collect them for awhile until you had enough for this quilt! Thanks for sharing the tutorial - I'm going to go check it out. Great finish, Vicki!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the colors, fabrics and fun pattern, Vicki!!! And I love your triple hook quilting! Awesome quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The quilt if great! Thanks for the link to the directions too. Although I don't buy layer cakes I sure could make my own like you did. The idea will rest in the brain for just the right fabrics or time. When you are stocking up for future use (and with a big coupon) how much do you buy and do you buy solids or ???

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks super! I'll bet it get snatched right out of your shop. I love the triple hook swirl :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well. Someone's gonna snatch that right up! I don't think of myself as a yellow person, but I *really* like how you mixed your fabrics and added the gray. So very pretty. And I'm super impressed at the speed in which you got this done. You're a quilting super woman! Thanks for sharing your quilt on MCM!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html