Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Checked Pumpkin-Hello Fall blog hop

 Hello to all my followers, and welcome if you have stopped in for the first time.  Today is my day on the Hello Fall blog hop hosted by Carla at Creatin' in the Sticks.  Carla always puts on a fun hop and I love to join in!

There are so many things I love about fall, the leaves, pumpkins, scarecrows, gourds and all the gorgeous fall colors.  But this year instead of all the fun colors I decided I wanted to add a buffalo checked pumpkin in black, white and gray to my decorating.  


If you happen to follow Jeanna at Slammin' the Screen Door you have seen some of her cross stitch projects she has going.  I used to cross stitch every winter, but haven't done it in years.  Enter Jeanna and her projects and I kept thinking about doing it again.  Gee do I really need to go down that rabbit hole again?  But then I found this cute checked pumpkin and I kept thinking about it for several weeks and Jeanna said that we should make it together.  So when Carla announced this hop I thought, why not!!  I mean I had all the supplies still in a bin.  So I bought the pattern and started and darn I couldn't wait for the evenings to roll around so I could sit and stitch!  It was small enough that I knew I could finish it and it was perfect for the blog hop.  But I think Jeanna got busy with life and she might not have started hers just yet. 

After the cross stitch was done I trimmed it to 7 1/2" and cut the black polka dot fabric at 2" wide. It looked like it needed some additional color so I added the orange flange.  The flange was cut to 1" wide and folded in half.

I then sandwiched the flange in between the cross stitch aida cloth and the polka dots and sewed with a 1/4" seam, adding it to the two sides.  Then repeat for the top and bottom.

I chose this fun orange BOO print for the back to make this into a little pillow.  The back was cut the same size as the front and sewed all around the four sides being sure to leave an opening to stuff it.  Because I wanted the cross stitch center to be the only stuffed part I stitched in the ditch between the aida cloth and the orange flange (leaving another opening so I could stuff it).  After lightly stuffing with small scraps of batting I sewed both openings closed.

This cute little pillow will look great with my Hocus Pocus wall hanging when I get it done. 

One more glamor shot since I picked up pumpkins this past week. I see a little bite mark, think that a squirrel has been up on the porch having a little snack!!

Won't you please join me in cheering on all of the bloggers who are participating in this hop which just started yesterday.  Here is a line up.  You won't want to miss all the great ideas!!
Monday, September 21st


Tuesday, September 22nd
Wednesday, September 23rd
Thursday, September 24th


Linking with Midweek Makers and Wednesday Wait Loss

51 comments:

  1. A very cute addition to your Fall decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a darling pillow! Your cross stitch work is beautiful and the design is so cute. Love your Hocus Pocus quilt, too. Great Fall project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicki, your cross stitch pillow is SO cute! I also recently picked up my cross stitching again after many years of it all languishing in storage. Yep, jumping right into that rabbit hole again! I’ve missed it though. I love your hocus pocus wall hanging too. The two look great together along with those cute stuffed pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cross stitch and your pumpkin pillow is really pretty and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to combine your crafting talents! Cute pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pillow is adorable and looks so nice with your wall hanging. I think you're ready for fall! Hopefully the squirrel will go to another house and leave your pumpkins alone. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good morning, Vicki! What a sweet pillow. I never would have guessed it was cross stitch. I think the orange flange was the perfect addition - it really set off the cute design and makes it all pop. Happy Fall! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cute! I haven't done cross stitch in years, but this one is tempting! Love the backing fabric too. It looks great with Hocus Pocus!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh your pillow almost makes me want to take up cross stitching again. It looks lovely with your wall hanging.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a darling little pillow to coordinate with your Hocus Pocus wall hanging, Vicki! Your home decor is almost all ready for Fall. Happy quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job with picking up the cross-stitch again, in a modern way, Vicki!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheers. Enjoyed your post, and hoping you have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awww, this is adorable. Love the black and white buffalo checked pumpkin and then you finished it off perfectly. I used to cross stitch all the time and do miss it. Thanks for the inspiration and thank you for being a part of the Hello Fall Blog Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is cute as can be, Vicki! I couldn't believe you even cross-stitched the plaid section, so had to zoom in to check it out. The fabrics you combined for the pillow just really added so much fun to the whole look, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How cute is that!!! and with the quilt too - it will be so great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that black and white plaid in the cute pillow and that quilt is awesome! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great surprise! The black, buffalo checked pillow is a good compliment to the other fall scenes that you photographed.
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I’ve had so much fun catching up n your blog this morning. You are so amazing and inspiring. Thanks for sharing what you do. I’m so happy that your Etsy shops are doing so well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jenna is a wonderful mentor. You did a wonderful job on this piece. The pillow is a perfect showcase for that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great pillow. Thanks so much for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi,
    Love the pillow...so pretty. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What an adorable pillow. I LOVE the cross stitch pattern. TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your pillow. I used to do cross stitch a lot, but not so much anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cute little project to compliment your quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That's a sweet project and I especially love the authentic bite in the pumpkin. I can't keep a pumpkin on my porch for even a minute before it's chomped into. You have quilt a theme going there and clearly are a lover of Halloween. I'm guessing you're gearing up for something fun, even in this wacky year of pandemic times.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cute project! I like doing cross stitch although lately I haven't been doing too much of it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a darling pillow. I, too, should get back to doing cross-stitch. This pattern might just be what I need also! It looks perfectly fabulous next to your wall hanging; Looks like they belong together. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great pillow you made! I can see the attraction in cross stich but I have avoided that rabbit hole and so far holding steady!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That is so darn cute. I got the cross stitch bug a few years back, it really is a fun diversion. That pillow looks great with your Hocus Pocus Quiltie

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think your pillow is just the cutest project! It makes me want to take up cross stitching 😉

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your checked pillow is very neat! I love how it will coordinate with your hanging ... now you just need to get it finished! :-) (and it will get finished - when it's ready to be finished! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow I really, really love your cross stitched pillow! So smart to add the orange flange (thanks for showing how you did it) and matches so cute with the quilt! And I also saw your other post and so glad to see you have a tutorial for the star struck table runner! That is so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh and your pie and salsa looks fabulous too!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful checked pumpkin in that cute pillow! Your wall hanging will be great with it.

    ReplyDelete
  35. So cute! Clearly the perfect project. I love that backing BOO print! This is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I haven't done cross stitch in years, but this does seem to be calling me.

    ReplyDelete
  37. It's the perfect companion to the checked gingham fabric pumpkin in your quilt! Which one came first? So cute together :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your pillow is perfect in every way. The polka dots with checks, the orange flange, etc. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a sweet cross stitch piece. Love the plaid pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  40. i love that black check for your pumpkin, it is super cute! very nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  41. So very cute! No wonder it called your name. Puts me in the mood to cross stitch again. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss

    ReplyDelete
  42. I am not surprised at all that you got yours done so fast. It is adorable and I really like how you finished it off.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Just adorable Vicki! I take anything in a check fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Love your Fall projects. Black and white buffalo check is always a winner, no matter the season. :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Great fall projects I love the check fabric

    ReplyDelete
  46. OH MY GOODNESS!!!! Your cross stitch is perfect and the pillow is an amazing finish. It goes great with your Hocus Pocus quilt. I have got to get on the ball...but there is no way I will FFO mine as nicely.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html