The first one I cut and pieced is the bottom right one, after I sewed the strip sets together I thought this isn't going to look like I pictured in my mind. Then I cut the first 2 wedges and laid them out, nope not gonna like this one so much. But I already committed the fabric to this so I will persevere. And it was fun to see it come together and look good in the end!! It was amazing each time I made another topper I kinda thought the same thing. You just had to wait it out to the end and it turned out just fine! This was Saturdays work.
Then Sunday I decided to make these. You see I had to mix things up a bit to keep from getting bored with the same style. I love that top patriotic one. The bottom left is actually green and rust for fall. But in looking at it I think it could be a Christmas one too as the rust became more reddish looking when cut into the smaller pieces.
The star shaped one evolved from one I made last year with my 10 degree ruler, but this time I employed the help of my hubby (he's a math guy) to draw me a template of 15 degree so I wouldn't have to make as many points, LOL. The colors are so much prettier in person, it really is a pretty light olive green-not the puky brown the picture shows. I gotta say it is much easier to have an acrylic ruler to cut with than a cardboard template! However, it all worked out in the end and I saved money right!! Now I think I would like to see a 20 degree one, haha. These all measure around 28-30" depending on how wide I decided to cut the fabrics for the strip set.
If anyone is interested in a little tutorial let me know and I could whip one up. They look a little complicated but they really are not.