Thursday, May 20, 2021

Born To Be Wild!


Today is the last day on the Born To Be Wild blog hop and I get to showcase my project today!  Carol, from Just Let Me Quilt, always has such fun hops that I just can't resist:)  The song 'Born To Be Wild' by Steppenwolf has been playing over and over in my head while I was working on my project!  

I am a giraffe lover and I had this panel in my stash for a couple years and this was the perfect time to get it made up.  I am pretty sure it is a digital print and as I was quilting it I could almost feel his fur! And look at those eyelashes!!  

I was so worried that I wouldn't get a good outdoor photo with our trees in the background as it has been so misty/rainy for the past couple days.  But there was a little break yesterday afternoon. 

 

Right after purchasing this panel I saw a free pattern for the borders of it and thought it was really neat and different. I had pinned it on my Pinterest page, and then last week when I needed it, it was no longer a valid link for the giraffe panel.  Instead it was on a tiger panel of a different size!  Oh no what to do.  But after reading it over it seemed pretty straight forward, the only difference was the the length of the side and top borders. The corners stayed the same, so I was back in business!  You can find the border pattern HERE.  I think they changed the panel of it again!


Since this piece is for me I spent extra time on it and custom quilted it on my long arm.  I love custom quilting, this used rulers for all the straight lines and SID (stitch in the ditch) and the wishbones are freehanded.  My favorite freehand allover hook swirls on the panel itself. 


I named this wall hanging Mommy and Me, it will hang behind my long arm.


This hop has been so inspiring hasn't it.  I do hope you have had the chance to visit all the other bloggers that are participating.  If not here is the list of them all.  Thank you Carol for another great hop!!

40 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a perfect pairing of a fabric panel and border design! Great job on the quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I love the borders a perfect addition to the lovely panel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, fun giraffe panel print! That border is so perfect for framing these beauties. The variety of quilting designs also fits this panel design so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those borders, they’re a perfect accent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my this is gorgeous. my mom loved giraffes. oh but i love this border. does it have a name? i am interesting in finding out how to do this. thanks for sharing and for inspiring. i have been enjoying this hope.
    quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your giraffe quilt, the borders are perfect and your quilting is absolutely wonderful. Can you help me find the border pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this really turned out well, and it looks great on your wall. That little break in our rainy weather really gave a nice background to your photo, too! Enjoy this one - you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see why you want to keep it! The borders add so much to it. It is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the borders and the panel looks amazing with them. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your quilt, and I absolutely love that border! It really highlights the giraffe in the panel. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a nice view to see while you quilt on the long arm! I love the borders and the giraffes. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, this is gorgeous! The quilting and borders make that adorable panel totally amazing. Love it and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree -- the border is simple but it makes the panel into something special. I've made one giraffe quilt to date (http://frombolttobeauty.blogspot.com/2016/11/more-than-you-wanted-to-know-about.html). It was a little fiddly but was a gift for a giraffe fan, who loved it. : )

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a beautiful panel, and you rocked the borders. I am heading over and downloading that border pattern right now. What a fun way to finish off any quilt. Thanks for sharing that great find!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You certainly knocked this one out of the park! And the green leaves as a backdrop really added to it. The panel is fabulous and your quilting really set it off. Thanks for sharing and being part of this blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  16. As always, I love what you do with panels, and this one is no exception! That border is a great design, and the perfect colors, too. Glad you're keeping this one!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great border design, Vick!! The quilting is amazing!!! Where did you find that beautiful panel? Yes, I love giraffe eyelashes!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that quilt Vicki. It is so realistic. How did you stand the quilt up (and so straight) on your outside table? It looks great on your wall too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great border for a panel!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A beautiful finish and I do like the border!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That looks great, beautiful quilting well done

    ReplyDelete
  22. So pretty! That border design is just perfect for this panel.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Vicki! Oh, I am so glad to read that this lovely wall hanging is for you!! It really looks so nice on the wall you chose - the colors are just perfect. Imagine that! Those are nifty borders, and one that you can't just use on any 'ole thing. I am awfully fond of giraffes myself. It reminds me of Addison's giraffe baby quilt and how George spoke to me as I was quilting it! Mommy and Me is just the ticket for this blog hop. Happy Friday! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the giraffe wall hanging and awesome quilting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. SO pretty. I love the giraffes, and the giraffes quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a vibrant panel and the border design is awesome! I love how it sets off the panel. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What's not to love about a giraffe's eyelashes? The border you selected is the perfect way to "frame" the panel so that the giraffes can star.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the borders on the quilt. The quilting is great, too. Giraffe's are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  29. WOW, those wonderful borders really bring focus to that fabulous panel. Beautiful quilting just takes the hole piece to a terrific place.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm a giraffe lover too. Love, love, love "Mommy and Me!" Thanks for the border link, too. It is sew unique!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh I love it!! Giraffes are so cool!! and that border you used frames it just beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi,
    Beautiful Giraffe piece...they are so cut.
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love it! These two look great with that border design

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your giraffes. So glad you were able to make those borders work so perfectly for you. 😉

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh how adorable!!! You did a great job with the panel and the quilting! xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. That is a wonderful finish, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. The borders are perfect! Great way to frame the panel. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Aww this is sew cute and awesome quilting

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html