Monday, November 21, 2022

A squirrel in the form of a Penguin!

It's always fun to play with something new, so enter the squirrel (you know when the bug hits that you have to drop everything and make something new).  Last week AccuQuilt sent me one of their new dies, Mr. Penguin, along with a heart die.  


                                                     So I had to play with the penguin this weekend. 


A penguin has to have a skating pond doesn't he.  And perhaps there is an evergreen tree since it is winter.  After cutting the background fabric, I appliqued the pond to it and then quilted the mini quilt.  Next I appliqued the penguin and tree onto the quilt.  Now remember if you have the penguin die and you have an embroidery machine you can download the embroidery for it for free from the Accuquilt site. I don't have the ability to do that so I use my sewing machine zig zag to do my applique.


It's progressing right along with prairie point accents with buttons and of course the binding. But it still needs something hmmm....


That's it, it needs SNOW using the accuquilt 2" alphabet die.  As I was getting the die out I thought what are the chances I have felt or wool to make my letters out of, I didn't think the chance was good.  So imagine my surprise when I opened the cupboard that holds my small supply of wool and found the perfect blue!!!!  I appliqued the letters on with a light blue thread and straight stitching on the sewing machine. I think it turned out darling!  Oh and for the feet I used gold felt and they flip around as I only sewed the top of the feet in as I zig zagged the penguin himself. Thank you Accuquilt for allowing me to have some fun with this die!  I'll be using it again for a Valentine wall hanging later on.



I must have been really tired when I wrote this last night as I had it titled 'A squirrel in the form of a snowman'.  Imagine my surprise this morning when I went to check that it posted.  I since corrected the title, however it still says snowman in bloglovin and the link addy when I link to linky parties. My apologies to Accuquilt and my followers.  

Linking with Design Wall Monday and Sew and Tell.  Thank you ladies for hosting these linky parties.

11 comments:

  1. that is pretty neat - is the penguin about the same size at the gnome die is?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun die to play with, and your fabric stash is like a gold mine - you always find what you need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is adorable, Vicki! You have to love a squirrel that turns into a penguin! 🐧

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute, Vicki! I love how he is on the pond and how your design progressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one mighty cute squirrel... penguin. Great use of the die and I love your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is adorable, Vicki. How clever of Accuquilt to create the accompanying embroidery files. Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable. Wish I could justify the Accuquilt, but the dies are just too expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a fun die! I can see some of these appearing in your store in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your penguin die brought Diann from Little Penguin Quilts to mind. So cute! And your project is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh sooo cute!! I will have to see if I can find that die! xx

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html