Wednesday, December 28, 2022

WIP's of a different kind

 I felt the need for a little break from quilting😵 after all the hustle and bustle of the last few months. My quilting does give me thrills, goosebumps and all that but doing something different for a little while will help me rejuvenate!!  So I uncovered one of my knitting machines. There might have been some quilting covering it up, I could always plea that I was keeping it warm, LOL.  This machine has a motor attachment so once I have set the right number of needles and e-wrap the yarn on it I can set it for a number of rows. The carriage is then carried back and forth across the bed of needles by the motor. Once those rows have knitted I hang the cast on row onto the needles to form a tube which doubles the layers that go around your ears. Next comes a many rows of single layer to form the top of the hat.  I take the stitches off the machine using a double eye needle. Pull it up and then I have to hand stitch the back seam.  It takes about 25 minutes from start to finish on the machine and another 20 to hand sew it. 


I have over 20 hats knitted now, these are the only ones sewn up.  In these hats I used three strands of a 2/24 weight yarn which is a skinny yarn.  This makes for a nice feeling hat that should keep some youngsters warm.  I used three different colors to make the variegated effect.  After I have a nice pile done I will donate these. 


Don't forget AccuQuilt still has several sales going on until the end of the year.  25% off Bundles, Ready Set Go, Cubes and Dies.  As an Affiliate I get a small commission if you click my link and make a purchase, it's no extra cost to you. 

Linking up with Wednesday Wait Loss, Midweek Makers

12 comments:

  1. those are very nice hats!! was it hard to learn how to use the knitting machine?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we need to divert our brain into something else than quilting. I haven't made anything for my shop this month. Beautiful hats, I'm sure they will be loved. SIL had a knitting machine, but not as advanced as yours. Not sure what happened to it; either sold or given away. I went through my knitting basket yesterday, yikes, time to finish some UFO's there too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven’t done much sewing in the last week either. Getting my daughter’s cold didn’t help. But I have been making a quilt journal out of a graph paper notebook to try out this year. I love hearing how your knitting machine works and seeing what you make with it. The variegated effect is awesome! I would have said that the quilting items were keeping the dust off. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hats are great, Vicki! They look so professional. That's a really neat thing to do when you need a break from sewing, and some kids are going to be nice and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fabulous hats, Vicki!!! You go, knitting girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those hats are so pretty! Thanks for sharing how you make them on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Colorful and fun! I'm glad you are playing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like so much fun! I was into my knitting too a bit over the holidays - husband lost his hat I made him but I kept having needle problems. Need to get back to it before the cold sets in again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Vicki! I forgot you had that nifty knitting machine. You sure cranked out some hats quickly!! I know those are nice and thick - the future recipients will be so warm in them. It looks like you can make something quite large, too, if you wanted to. Stay warm, my friend. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the colors of your hats. Great way to take a break from quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's great! I have a friend who has a similar type of machine, and she loves it, too. Caps like that would make great cancer caps for winter, too. Hairless heads can get cold! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I sort of miss my knitting machine but I can't even do all the hobbies that I have now. I did enjoy machine knitting for about 10 years.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html