Sunday, May 12, 2024

Brown Scraps and knitting

Yesterday I pulled out the brown fabrics bin and refolded and stacked neatly back into the bin-it's like a refresher course to remind you what you have! In the process I pulled out this scrappier looking pile. The plan is to cut these into usable rectangles and squares this week.  A lot of it will go into the potato chip blocks.



In the evenings I like to have some handwork so I searched the internet for a hand knit slipper pattern for kids.  The first one I found and tried I didn't like.  Then I found one called Grandma's knitted slippers.  After running to JoAnn's to get size 8 Bamboo needles. For yarn I used a 4 ply Red Heart variegated along with a sport weight soft pink, it gave just the right feel to the slipper. 



That was fun to make so I started another pair and used the variegated yarn with a fingering weight aqua.  The slipper takes on a bit different color leaning more toward the aqua now. I am adding a few rows to the foot and to the toe for a little larger slipper.  At this point I am just making them to have something to do, I'll end up donating them somewhere. If I stuck to it I could knit one slipper in an evening. But I don't want to overdue my wrists so I am limiting to a little time here and a little there. 



This is the best photo my phone took of the northern lights. Not great but a verification that we did see them! 



Happy Mother's Day to all you momma's out there, what will you being doing today?  We are going for a nice bike ride on this beautiful day, supposed to be 84 and sunny with a few clouds.

Linking with Oh Scrap!, Monday Musings and Sew and Tell Monday


14 comments:

  1. Happy Mother's Day, Vicki! 84 degrees - wow! We're at 70 with possible rain showers - hoping I can squeeze in a walk. Those are some pretty browns - the potato chip blocks seem like they can use just about anything. Love the little slippers, too! Enjoy your bike ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute little slippers! Your photo of the Northern Lights looks pretty good. A lot of people here had great photos, but I didn't get any. Sadly. I was hoping for a good view of the sky last night while driving home from granddaughter's musical, but there were too many clouds. Bummer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Great picture of the Northern Lights. Hubby went out in the backyard tonight to try to take a picture. Um, failure...there was a very little of the mauve/pink color but nothing as good as yours. Good for you to start knitting slippers for kids. I never thought of that. I, too, need to control the length of time I knit. My hands get sore too. I could probably make a little hat every night but I have tried to take two days for each hat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated Mother's Day! Here, it's the last Sunday in May. I'm sure it feels good redoing the brown fabric bin. Cute little socks. I was knitting a lot (when I lived in Norway) and almost always ended up with inflammation in my wrist. Wise to not overdo! Norwegian newspapers had a lot about being able to see the Northern Lights in Southern Norway. I've forgotten to ask my friend if he saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaah the little pair of slippers are darling. Great photo of the Northern Lights. I hope you had a lovely Mother's Day. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it relaxing to organize fabric and yes it's fun rediscovering pieces. Those slippers are darling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love those knitted slippers! I also love variegated wool and it's always good to have something on the needles ready to go. Happy playing with your brown patches.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had slippers like that from my grandma, and I loved them. We got some photos of the northern lights, too. Pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw, the little slippers are so cute! We had too much cloud cover here to see the NL. Your photo is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That slipper pattern is the same as what I used when I learned to knit in 4-H. I still have the pattern and a pair of slippers that I keep around if guests need something. Thanks for joining Sew & Tell.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That seems to be a popular slipper pattern. I usually do felted slippers because I tend to wear out anything else. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The slipper pattern sure looked like the pattern my grandmother would knit for her grandchildren! --TerryK@OnGoingProjects

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a little scrap pile, Vicki! I wonder if you need us to send you more?!! JK! Those slippers are looking really cute. Your northern lights photo looks really wow to me! Too much light fog here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those kids slippers are pretty in the variegated yard. I think I need to take your refresher course! LOL Your photo of the Northern Lights is gorgeous. I forgot to share mine but will in tomorrow's post! Thanks for sharing with us at Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html