Sunday, May 5, 2024

Scrap cutting and sewing

Yesterday our youngest grandson came over because he wanted to sew with me and make a campfire with grandpa. He had an idea in his head of what he wanted to make. A small mug rug to give his mom (our daughter) for Mother's Day.  When I asked what her favorite color is these days he says black!  Okaaaay I said, LOL. But after digging in my black scrap bag he found some nice coordinating pieces and I threw in one or two. This is what he came up with, it turned out great, he followed instructions great and was so proud of his finished product. He wants to make a different color today.  

I helped him minimally in between cutting out a lot of red bricks(on top of the container) for the potato chip blocks. My little red pile was pretty low(see in the container). 


There were a few more blocks sewn this week. Actually eight were made this week, four of which I sewed while hubby and grandson were out at the campfire yesterday. They cooked our hot dogs for supper over the fire:)


And now grandson asked if he could sew another mug rug, they are more like a coaster to me, small just enough room for a mug. He might want purple this time.  I told him yes if he helped me first;) He will arrange fabrics for a couple more chip blocks. 

15 comments:

  1. that is neat the grandson likes to make mug rugs I so enjoy seeing children do things other than holding a "screen" in front of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sweet that your grandson wanted to make his mom a present! You led him to some pretty black prints. :) Your potato chip block collection is looking great! Sounds fun to cook those hotdogs over the campfire, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute getting your grandson to sew,-and for his mum too! Well done that son!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, you both had quality time with grandson this weekend! So fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow- you both had quality time with your grandson! So special. I like the super scrappy potato chip; must remember this one.
    (This may be a duplicate; problems with the publish button today.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your grandson did a great job on his Mother's Day gifts. Good job cutting all those bricks! They're ready for some quick stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a wonderful visit with your grandson. How sweet that he wanted to make a Mother's Day gift. Those are the best gifts- from the heart and you got to spend the day with him - such precious memories made.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vicki! Aww, what a great time you both had spending some sewing time together. And now he's all set for Mother's Day! I hope you have a happy one yourself. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, way to get him interested in sewing!! And how sweet that he wanted to make his mom a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  10. so fun your grandson enjoys quilting! love the potato chip block...I may cut my scraps to this size for future projects!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute story, Vicki! It sounds like everyone had fun!!! Love the mug rug for Mother's Day idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely time you had and his mother will be so pleased too. So much fun when they want to come and play!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How cool your grandson enjoys sewing! He did a great job. Precious memories! Mine just want me to repair things! LOL Great scrappy quilt! Thanks for sharing with us on Monday Musings!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So fun that they still like to hang out with you in the sewing room, and now are beginning to sew. Neat that he wanted to make something for his mom for Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html