Friday, February 23, 2018

A shamrock for our door-Island Batik

Last year I started making mini quilts to hang on our front door, one for each season.  Well I didn't get some of the seasons done, so I will continue this year.  When I knew the second Island Batik Ambassador February project was to do something mini, I would get my shamrock one!  After finishing the piecing on a customer table runner yesterday I got right to work on the mini.

The first box that Island Batik gave me for this years projects had a bundle of Paisley Dots fat eighths.  I spied these gorgeous greens and the neutal background was from a previous box.  OK done deal these are perfect for my shamrock hanging.

The Block Lock half rectangle was used to create the spike borders.  Those along with using batiks made the process so easy!  My mini finishes at 10.5" x 15".  When making my door mini's they are not all the same size, just in the ball park;)   I layered and quilted it with Aurifil 3320 in a 50 weight.  I didn't realize this light green was variegated until I unwrapped it and was winding the bobbin that it became apparent.  It is so subtle of shades, perfect for this project.  This was also included in the box from Island Batik, Aurifil is a sponsor also.

Once again I quilted it before doing the applique.  Since this shamrock is also a batik and won't ravel, I just used Elmers Glue to adhere it and then satin stitched with Aurifil 2890 dk. green.


Don't you just love the dots!!

Since my door is steel, I hand sew little pockets to the back to slip a magnet in, this makes it so quick and easy to hang and leaves no marks.
Thanks Island batik for the wonderful fabrics and thank you Aurifil for the perfect thread for my project.  I have to admit before I was an Island Batik ambassador and received the Aurifil threads to go with our projects I never used Aurifil.  It's been wonderful getting acquainted with it!

Here is a list of all the Ambassadors so you can check out their inspirations for their Mini Love.

Kathleen at Kathleen McMusing
Leanne at Devoted Quilter
Mania at Mania for Quilts
Maryellen at Mary Mack Made Mine
Michelle at Creative Blonde
Pamela at PamelaQuilts
Sally at Sally Manke
Sandra at MMM Quilts

Sherry at Powered by Quilting  <— me!
Stephanie at Steph Jacobson

Linking with Sarah Myra Amanda




23 comments:

  1. I love this little mini! I love March and all the fun greens it brings out into decorations. Those greens are yummy :) Did I just read that right when you said batiks will not ravel? I did not know this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute shamrock. I like that you quilted before doing the applique', makes perfect sense. The magnet idea is a good one too! Pretty batiks and the Aurifil coordinates well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vicki,
    Very nice! I love this and it looks so darn cute and seasonal on your front door. It shouts welcome to all your visitors, and it also says a creative person lives here. Now, on to some shamrock table runners for your Etsy store. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great on your door! The fabrics are so perfect for March.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are absolutely gorgeous fabrics and wonderful for your mini door quilt. You must have the best dressed door in the neighbourhood. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I love your mini door quilt. What a great idea to do. Beautiful batik fabric, perfect for March.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those dots are wonderful, and the variegated thread is just perfect for your project! Such a great idea to have something like that for your door. I won a pack of Aurifil thread from my last entry into Project Quilting - so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful project to make with the box of lovelies you received from Island Batik and yes I love the dots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute and a great St. Patty's Day Decor!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute! I have become a fan of aurifil thread, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darling! It looks great on your door. Do you have problems with your door quilts fading from sunlight?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun idea! I'd put a mini on my door, but it would likely blow away -we get so much wind here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's great! I love seeing your door quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great little mini for your door, and those greens are yummy! I love the pointy border because, you know, I love all things pointy! Your quilting looks really good too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like quilting before appliqueing, too. Nice mini. Good idea about the magnets, too. Do you stitch them in, or just drop them into the pockets?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great project for your mini love assignment! I'd love to see all the other seasonal door minis you made. Are you going to make a new one each month? Or do you already have them all made?

    ReplyDelete
  17. So cute! I do love the little polka dotty dots on these batiks. And so clever to use magnets in pockets to attach the hangings to your door! I wish the walls inside the boat were steel like the outside, then I could do the same. But the wood paneling is too thick for the magnets to "see" the steel outer walls, alas. But I've discovered Command 3M spring clips, like little clothes pins, and those are great for small wall hangings. I'll have to write them up on the blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful Vicki! I just realized we put a storm door on our front door and I should do something like that. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a perfect mini for February. I love that you are ready for the next holiday. Shamrocks always make me think spring is coming.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, I suddenly want a steel door!! haha. What a great idea. And the greens you have used are just delicious. I presume because the applique is stuck down with satin stitch it would tolerate some washing even though the glue washes out? Have you washed a project made like this - I'd love to know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html