Saturday, November 19, 2022

Snowman Trio

 A week ago I pieced all three of these little hangings in a full day of sewing. It was so fun I couldn't stop! This one finished at 16.5" square. The center being a panel block. 


While going through a few things in the garage DH found a six pack of empty blue beer bottles. He gave them to a friend who slumps glass. The friend gave them back to us after slumping three together making two trays.  I love them and were so perfect to use as a prop! 


After squaring up the little panel block I added the blue and white HST's for the outer border. I don't do a lot of blue items so this was fun to create.  Someone else thought it was pretty cute, it only lasted an hour in the shop!!  That just makes me giddy😄


And on to a different color. These next two were from the same panel and yet look so different because of the colors I chose for the borders. I used scraps of the blue to add a pop of color to coordinate with the panel block.


This one measures in at 13" x 17". Just right for a small nook. 



Since this one had a cardinal on the front I used cardinal fabric for the back.  For the little wall hangings I add triangle corners for the dowel rod, making it fast and easy for customers to hang it. 

And the third wall hanging measures 16" x 18.5". I added two red borders and the green/white checkerboard border made with scraps from another project. 





I used a Christmas cup as a prop to show that they could use this as a little table topper if they wanted to. 

I want to share the story of this little guy. He started out looking like this... 



This is the part where I decide what size the panel block needs to be in order for the rest of my design to work with it.  I didn't particularly like that the block was square and the center framed snowman was rectangular.  So I decided to cut it

And cut it apart a second time, throw away the skinny red strip you see below.


And sew it back together to get a rectangular block! Once I pressed the seams open, finished piecing and quilting it you can't tell that there is a seam there! Well unless you were on the hunt for it that is.


So don't be afraid to play with your panels!!

Linking with Oh Scrap on Sunday.

10 comments:

  1. those pieces are all cute you get done with them so fast

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so fun, Vicki! As I read along, I kept thinking "this one's my favorite," "no, this one!" They definitely each are special with the different colors you added for borders. I do love the snowmen with blue borders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Slumping?!!! I've never heard of that. And the blue resulting tray is GORGEOUS. As are the cute snowman hangings. I was browsing/wasting time in a store the other day (rare for me - I hate shopping). I happened upon one single Buffalo plain bowl. I immediately thought of you, and almost bought it. I lifted it and it was so heavy - mentally, I said, if it's not so heavy I'm going to buy it. I didn't want to lug it around. But your staging is inspiring me to improve mine! Finally, great tips about how you decide to use your panels. After all, you are in charge; not the panel!! Love all of them. Unlike Diann, I can pick a favorite - #1 all the way. HAHA! {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many happy snowmen! I enjoy seeing how you finish them up! The slumped glass is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not surprised the first one got adopted right away as it is so beautiful. Awesome job on all of them. I'm a sucker for snowmen so I love them all. Bravo! ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are so cute! I must say that I am partial to the blue snowman because I decorate with blue and snowmen in January.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the blue slumped glass! So much fun that the snowman no sooner got listed and it was sold. great idea for adjusting a panel to suit your needs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How clever to remove a small strip from the sides and sew the border back onto the panel. Your snowman collection is just too cute. I, too, love the slumped glass!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are just so smart and crafty. They are each darling little quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Each one of those is so adorable. Thanks for sharing what you did with the second one. I wouldn't have thought of it, but it's just perfect!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html