Wednesday, June 3, 2020

It's a Birthday party

How fitting I get to show you this birthday table runner today, it's my birthday, but not a table runner for me.  An Etsy customer asked me if I could design a table runner with a birthday theme.  Once again I turned to EQ8 to see if there might be anything in there to spark an idea.  Sure enough there was this cupcake.  All I needed to do was enlarge it. 

 I worked up this design in a few different color ways and Laura like this one best. So I got at it last week and had it finished in a couple days.  First the piecing and then the quilting and binding. Finally the applique cupcakes. 


I really like this design myself and think I need to make another for the shop. 


I had a little fat quarter bundle of magenta, orange, purple and teal polka dots that made the sweetest chocolate cupcakes.  Sticking with the polka dot theme I had this white with purple polka dots for the background.  


The background quilting was kept simple with a meander.  While cross hatching the checkerboard border seemed appropriate the straight lines in the outer border set it off nicely.  


And did you notice I had more polka dots on the teal backing and binding, well I guess they are more like bubbles;)  


Last Thursday was supposed to be a gorgoeus day so I arranged to go have a lawn visit with a dear friend that I haven't seen for at least six months.  While there she gave me this basket for my birthday.  I love it with all the fun colors it kinda reminded me of southwest colors.  She wrapped fabric around a cotton clothesline rope and then zig zagged around and around and up.  I love it!! I think I will set it on my cutting table and keep gadgets in it I need for current projects.  She showed me a whole stack of them she had made during our 'stay at home' period.  She estimates she made close to 30 of them! 


Linking with:


26 comments:

  1. Cute table runner! I wondering if you are actually charging enough for your time on these table runners? Seems like it takes quite a while to make one. I have on my list to make one of those rope bowls. Too bad it way at the bottom of a very long list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday, Vickie!!! May you celebrate many, many more! I've been watching your darling creations via my email and this one is just SUPER cute! I like how you always make your motifs face in opposite directions, so that either side of the table gets the same lovely view!
    I would love to know how you calculate your checkered borders to come out so evenly every time. Any hints/tips?
    Thanks for sharing your delightful projects...I enjoy seeing them a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, my sweet friend! I hope you have a wonderful day, full of all your favorite things! The weather is cooperating, at least! Sunshine and warmth! I love the birthday runner, it will look so fun on a celebratory table!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Vicki! Doing anything fun to celebrate? That birthday runner is adorable - love the colors. Those fabric baskets are really neat - I have friends who make them, too. Are you tempted to try making them yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!! and how sweet - I love that your customer had a little idea - and BAM!!! You ran with it - what a great runner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to you! What a great runner! And you know I love the polka dot frosted cupcakes. Making baskets like that is on my list of things to do... I've even purchased the clothesline. It's the cutest thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun table runner! The cupcakes are so cheerful. You did a wonderful job with the design and fabric choice..as usual :-) Happpy Birthday! I hope it is a sweet day for you with some treats and happy moments. Your lovely basket is a great start. I hope it's a grand year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday, Vicki!!! Great idea on the runner! And nice you got to meet up with a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a really cute design. I think it would be very popular.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Birthday Girl! Happy Happy day to you. That runner is SO stinkin' cute. I love the fabrics you used, of course. Who doesn't love a good polka dot?!! C.u.t.e. basket as well. I remember making them ages ago - they are still perfect and how thoughtful of her to give it to you. Big birthday {{hugs}} just for you. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Vicki! That is an adorable birthday table runner!Love the happy colors.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy....happy birthday Vicki!!! What a great runner with all polka dot fabric. AND the perfect background fabric! Have a special day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, VICKI!!!! The fabrics are perfect for a birthday table runner and it looks really great. What a sweet gift from your friend. The bowl will be handy to keep on your cutting table and it will likely make you think of her each time you look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a darling runner, perfect to celebrate your birthday! Cupcakes, yum!! I hope you have a wonderful day full of love and laughter and cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Birthday! I made Birthday cupcake mini quilts several years ago. I love those baskets. One of these days I'll make one.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I love this! The colours and the design are just perfect, I'm sure your customer will be thrilled. Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi,
    Happy Birthday! Love the runner, so cute...love
    that basket...great idea for keeping your gadgets
    in..have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That runner is SEW adorable AND happy birthday to YOU!!! Glad to hear that you were able to visit with your friend. What a lovely gift she made for you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love your birthday runner and your wonderful gift. Happy Birthday again and I am so glad you got to see your friend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's so cute Vicki! Looks like you could just pick one up an eat it. Happy Birthday too!

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cheerful table runner! I love the colors and the polka dot theme. And happy belated birthday!!!!!! (I'm super behind on blog posts!)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the colors in your birthday table runner! It's so cheerful and bright!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely runner, have you tried the cupcake die from accuquilt? Also rope baskets are fun and easy!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy birthday! What a cheerful table runner. I bet it'll be a hit in your shop. Love the basket. How nice of her to make one for you. Thanks for sharing on Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy belated birthday. I love your runner, the cupcakes paired with the patchwork look great together. Thank you for linking up to Put your foot down.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html