Monday, December 7, 2020

Mariner's Compass

 I made this pillow using the Mariner's Compass die from Accuquilt.  Sewing curves has always made me nervous, using this die made that easier. I certainly love the end result of my first ever Christmas pillow!


For this pillow I used two shades of red and two of green and a neutral of Island Batik. The die is a block on board, meaning that you cut the whole block in one pass.  After cutting and piecing the block itself I added the small neutral border and red and green rectangles for the outside border to bring my pillow up to 18".   Next I layered the pillow top, batting and backing and quilted it up on my longarm.  The backing can be pretty much any fabric from your stash as it doesn't show once you insert your pillow.  Here is how it looked after quilting.  





The next step, of course, is to trim up the pillow top and make your pillow back.  I used the envelope style of back for a quick finish.  

If you haven't signed up for the relaunch Accuquilt Mariner's Compass party you can do so by going HERE.  Who doesn't love a party with giveaways and sales!!  The party is on December 8th but you have to sign up for it.  Accuquilt will be showcasing the Go! Getters projects made using this die.  It's going to be lots of fun seeing all the different projects!

This project was made using the Mariner's Compass Die which was given to me by Accuquilt. 

14 comments:

  1. Wow, that is definitely a keeper! So pretty, Vicki. I expect I'll be seeing more of these blocks flying out of your quilt room . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice choice for a christmas pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the die when I saw it but doesn't having all the pieces on the board make it more confusing for laying out the pieces? I must admit I didn't take the time to watch the info that was given for it. I know I won't get it this year I have too many things already in the works

    ReplyDelete
  4. That turned out great, Vicki! I'm glad using the die for all the pieces worked so well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to give that die another look. Looking forward to the video.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vicki! This design has always been on my bucket list since I saw it on the floor of a government building somewhere. I have yet to make it but your pillow is certainly an inspiration for me! I'm surprised this is your first Christmas pillow! Nice job on the quilting - I'm enjoying the photo closeups. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty! I love how you quilted the space in between the points. With the wishbones, it kind of looks like little Christmas trees.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This pillow is very attractive! Love your quilting on it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this...great job quilting it too.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html