Monday, April 26, 2021

Red, White and Blue goodness

There is just something so satisfying to play in my patriotic bin of fabrics.  And then when a friend gives you several coordinating fabrics in half yard increments, so sweet.  She is a quilter herself but she prefers to come to my house and buy several table runners.  And then last year she asks if I would like some patriotic fabrics that she no longer wants, well yes indeed I said! 


While scouring the internet on Friday I found this tutorial by Missouri Star I knew I could whip one up fast.  I changed things up a bit by using striped fabric instead of making striped fabric for the center.  The stars were changed out so I could use my Accuquilt 8" cube to make the star points flying geese style.  All that made for a very quick runner to finish up.  All the fabric was from my friends bundle except the beige behind the stars and the skinny blue border.  Thank you Kathy!!  

Some quilting photos... At first I did a faux SID with beige between the stripes thinking that was all that was needed in that striped section.  Wrong, it didn't look finished so I went back and did the squiggles freehand, much better!

The same thing happened in the star blocks.  I thought just the stitching in the stars would be enough, nope didn't look finished again, so I did a quick stipple in the beige background.  Now I was happy with it and I whipped it off the long arm and bound it quickly by machine.  I love using Glide thread on top and Superior SoFine in the bobbin.  Along with Hobbs 80/20 for batting. 

I will link this up to The Joyful Quilters Table Scraps April Challenge. Also Design Wall Monday, and Monday Making




13 comments:

  1. Oh, Vicki!...great patriotic table runner! I love the contrast of every fabric and its placement. The stripes between the large stars and then the red and white star fabric border after the narrow blue border then a blue binding...perfect. And so pleasing to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your runner looks great! Your added "squiggles" were just the thing. Nice that you were gifted the half-yard pieces!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this runner - so striking! Stars and stripes are a perfect combo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How great to have a friend who knows what you need and like to make! I really like that design - it was a good find. I bet it will be popular in your shop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quilt. Question -- were you a guest presenter on the Tuesday Accuquilt presentation last week? I thought it might be you but wasn't sure. Thanks for sharing where you got the inspiration for this cute runner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has to be one of my favorites of your table runners. Love the quilting you did in the star blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Vicki! Love this new table runner. The use of striped fabric in the center is brilliant and a real-time saver. It seems to me the AccuQuilt would be worth its weight in gold for the accuracy on flying geese blocks. I'm certain this will sell quickly, if that's where it's headed. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny how just a bit of extra squiggle is what it needed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet your patriotic table runners sell fast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute TABLE SCRAPS Challenge entry, Vicki!! Thanks for joining the Link Party.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks and praise be at all times to the most holy and most holy sacrament of amen

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html