Sunday, August 28, 2022

Embroidered Pumpkin Wagon

 I believe this pumpkin wagon block was embroidered last fall and then I ran out of time(aka-ignored it).  It has been sitting in a basket this whole time just waiting to be finished up.  This past week I worked on it in spurts, after finishing the checkerboards I couldn't decide how I wanted to finish it.  I texted Wendy at Piecefulthoughts.com/ with a photo of some samples of finishes and asked for her thoughts.  We agreed just putting on a green border would finish it nicely.  I am very happy with how it looks!  


Since I was working with scraps for practically this whole wall hanging I didn't have more of the inner green.  But thanks to a fabric acquisition on Friday, more on that in a moment, I had a green that was of the same coloring.  

I really enjoyed hand embroidering this little pumpkin wagon in the evenings while watching TV.  The embroidery pattern designer is Primitive Stitches


I hand sewed on three little leaf buttons after it was all quilted.  Some people worry about quilting over hand embroidery. Really there is no problems with it, I used a glide cream to match the background fabric and did a simple cross hatch. 

In the interest of using more scraps I pieced the back of this 21"x21" project.  I tend to add a split sleeve on these small projects so you only have to put on nail or pin in your wall in order to hang it. 


One could use it as a table topper if you wanted!  I will be linking with August Table Scraps Challenge where embroidery and orange were the requirements.  And since I used scraps I am linking with Oh Scrap!

Now about the fabric acquisition from Friday, a quilter who happened to be a nurse passed away from Covid last year, so sad.  Her friends and neighbors put on an estate sale with all of her belongings. I didn't know her but I heard the basement was just full of fabric and they had a presale for her friends before opening it up to the public. Well there was still plenty of fabric to pick from when I got there.  Here is my haul, charm packs $4 each,  Fqs $1, and yardage was $4.  All of the yardage I got except for one has metallic gold accents, my customers love that in the runners.  And the rulers were $3 each.  There was tons of books there on everything from sewing, embroidery to quilting. I didn't need any of those. But it's times like this that makes one really think of your stash...and then I go buy more, HA!


A closeup of the yardage, so yummy!!!!  I used some of it already!  You'll see the results this week;)





14 comments:

  1. Oh, I love that, Vicki! Cute pumpkin embroidery, and love the patchwork to finish it off, too. You found some great stash enhancement at that sale! Those look just like fabric you will use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This project turned out perfect. Love those greens that pick up the colors in the embroidery. What a great purchase from that estate sale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I really like your pumpkin wagon...so cute. I really like the green
    fabric you used, it makes the pumpkin really stand out. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is a cute fall hanging! perfect for wall or table. Great haul on the fabric sad the nurse passed away from covid though -

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely a great little embroidered finish. Although it is from a primitive site I think it doesn't look all that primitive. Maybe because of your color choices. Oh what a great haul you made. I thought long and hard about going to an estate sale in Maryland that my guild was putting on from a former member. I finally decided I would have to buy lots and lots of fabric to make it worth the gas and the time. So, boo hoo, I stayed home. I've got a tentative plan for my stash after I go but my daughter can only store so much in her very small house. So we both better start sewing faster, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your wallhanging is so precious. It's a great finish. You did find some beautiful fabrics at the sale. I'm sure the nurse/quilter would be thrilled to know that her stash is being used by others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet Autumn wall hanging! Great stash enhancement, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pumpkin wagon quilt is delightful. I especially like the borders and the colors you used. Your scrappy back looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pumpkin wagon is so sweet!
    and your fabrics are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cute pumpkin wagon, Vicki!!! Sad to hear a nurse passed on from c0vid. Glad to hear you and others could make use of her collection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, you know I love it :-) I'm finally catching up on blog posts! Heartbreaking news that she was a nurse, and dying so unexpectedly. I'm glad you have fabric that you will share with others through those pretty quilts in your shop. You honor her by doing so!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Vicki, what a lovely finish! Of course I love the embroidery and the finishing sashes are perfect, esp. that fabric with its design features. Pumpkins are something we all seem to love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the pumpkin wagon! It is funny how sometimes things sit, but now it is ready and willing to make its journey to a new home. Always so sad to hear about covid deaths. You were able to pick up some very nice things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super seasonal wall hanging, Vicki! Has the weather begun to cool so that you might enjoy this now? Thanks for sharing with the August 2022 TABLE SCRAPS Challenge!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html