Monday, January 30, 2023

Holland pouch + Table scraps Challenge

What to make, what to make for the Table Scraps Challenge for January was my thoughts earlier this month.  Something blue and something with perhaps the letters C, R and J as suggested by Joy who hosts this fun challenge each month. 

After seeing Wendy's Holland pouch, which I rather liked, I went ahead and bought the pattern. So why not hunt up some blue fabrics and give it a go. I have made bags and pouches before and I have installed zippers before. In an afternoon I had this baby all sewn up.  The Holland Pouch is from Center Street Quilts, she has some great diagrams on IG too.


I wanted this pouch to have some stability so I decided to try two layers of 80/20 batting. It quilted up nicely using my walking foot on my Janome Skyline 7. However two layers of batting made it very difficult in some areas of the construction. I won't be doing that again as my machine skipped stitches in the super thick seam areas where you have several layers of fabric in addition to two layers of batting. 


And a coordinating blue lining.  I think this pouch will end up as a gift.


So how does the letters C, R and J fit into this project?   This Challenge was Right up my alley to Just have fun!!  Linking up with January Table Scraps Challenge, Design Wall Monday and Sew and Tell Monday.

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful bag. You were very creative with your C R and J. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute bag! it turned out great love those colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great looking bag, Vicki! It will make a great gift, too. I've made many zipper pouches, but never one that shape - I'll have to try that one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty little pouch, and beautiful fabric. Great gift. I can imagine sewing through the thick layers was a pain.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how this turned out! Soft and Stable is much easier to work with, but your little bag looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pouch! Love it.
    I agree with Wendy. Try sew-in interfacing/Soft and Stable.
    100/16 Needles may help with skipped stitches. If you are determined enough, you can use any letters to match your project :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, I feel dumb now. Two of you used those letters in very imaginative ways, and I couldn't think of a way to use them, so I didn't do the January challenge! Love your pouch!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html