Saturday, May 6, 2023

Every Quilt has a Story

It's true, don't you think, every quilt has a story!  This one sure does...It all started around 10 years ago. I am not positive as I can't find a record for this particular quilt. However, I found a similar quilt made from the same template in 2013.  At the time I was testing a template for a gal in Wisconsin. I don't think she ever went through with its development as we discovered it was to close to someone else's.  All that to say it is out of my 'to be quilted' closet now!!!


Why, you might ask, did it take so long for me to finish it?  I had my reasons, LOL.  I don't remember when I finished piecing it, but I do know it has sat in my 'to be quilted' closet for several years. Up on the top shelf layered with it's backing, batting and the quilting had been started. I remember why I didn't finish the quilting...it was on the longarm and I did half of the first row of colorful swirly deals and quit because the darn thread kept breaking, it was an aurifil pink. I tried and tried to get it to stop breaking. No luck with that so I got frustrated and took it off the longarm and threw it in the closet. 


Whenever I had time that I could have quilted it, I just stared or maybe I glared at it would be more appropriate. As much as I wanted to finish it, I just couldn't make myself try again.  Fast forward to last month and I said enough of this. Pinned it back on the longarm, got out that same pink thread and tried again. Guess what!  Break, break, break, good grief.  Then I thought I have that same shade of pink in a cone thread of Maxi Lock, let's try it as I have nothing to loose.  Guess what!  It worked like a charm!!!!


Two days on the longarm and it is done!!!!!!!!!!!!  Can you tell I might be a tad excited about that!  And just what will I do with this quilt... its a donation for H2H, Hands 2 Help. 


Sunday is another check in for H2H at Sarah's. I'll be linking up then.  Since it is made from scraps also linking at Oh Scrap

Also on Sunday I have another quilt with a littler story to share with you. 

14 comments:

  1. That's a pretty design - love the happy, bright colors! It's too bad that thread breakage made you want to hide it away, but glad you finally tried something else that did work. Someone is going to love this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the design - I'm not sure if I have seen anything closely the same. In today's quilt world there are so many patchwork type of quilts close to being the same - sometimes just differing in color that I would have a hard time saying any quilt was original if you know what I mean. I wouldn't even want to try to publish a pattern and say it was mine when I know I got the idea from quilts in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just my kind of quilt. Dark background - eye popping colors and the drama of the curves. Just awesome. Regardless of how long it took to get here, I am thrilled to see this finish. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is absolutely gorgeous!! Of course I do favor those lovely bright colors paired with black. The backing is a fun surprise too. Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crazy how some threads are our Achille's heel! Maybe it was old? Regardless, the switch to another type was the magic this quilt needed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a gorgeous quilt, so I'm glad it found a finish. I quite like the pattern, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There just comes a point when the quilt needs to be finished, and this one is a beauty. What in the world is up with that pink Aurifil anyway - LOL? Nice finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that stripy border! Yay on finally finishing , you showed that quilt who the boss is! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so pretty!!! and I am glad it finally made it to the light haha!!! Interesting about the thread... you just had a picky quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And another H2H quilt - hooray. You are doing a great job finishing up those closet ufos for quilty hugs. All good in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It’s a lovely finish and you’d never know the struggles you had with it now. Were you fighting with the Aurifil 50/2 on the orange cone/spool? You might have better luck with the 40/2 that comes on a green cone/spool instead. Or it could be low humidity that dried it out or who knows what other reason. All’s well that ends well, though. Congrats on a beautiful donation quilt for H2H!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well worth getting the quilt sandwich out of the closet and back on the longarm! It is a real beauty. I really like the way the black background and bright border fabric make the blocks pop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Somehow I missed this post! I love your quilting on this fun quilt. Having thread that breaks is so frustrating, but it was worth you persevering and finding one that worked. Great finish.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Loved your story, Vicki!!! Superb quilting! And love your backing fabric, too!!!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html