Sunday, May 7, 2023

Another quilt story

Continuing with UFO finishes is this hexie quilt. After winning these Tula fabrics several years ago I started this Opposites Attract pattern from Anka's Treasure's Sizzling Sixties book.  It didn't work opposites didn't attract, I really do not like this quilt and I have no idea what I was thinking!! 


While I like some of the fabrics in it, there are some I really don't like!  That made it hard to finish it. I don't have a record of when I started it, maybe 7 years ago, but it grew in stages and then got stuck back in timeout shifting from spot to spot around the room. This year I got tired of it and in a couple of different spurts over the last 3 months I finished it.  


Perhaps I should have studied it a little better before I set out to sew it into columns, because where I left off last is not how it ended up!!  I hope the recipient doesn't care and just enjoys a warm quilty hug. I know I am glad to be done with it.  The pattern actually doesn't have the blue 'border', it wanted you to bind around the pointy hexies, no way was I doing that! 


I finally found my laser light for my longarm, it had fallen down on the floor with a bunch of batting scraps.  Hubby got it attached for me and I quilted this with a panto called Sprung(I think).  While I really enjoy free hand quilting, I really wanted to use some panto's once in a while just to be different;)

This quilt will be used for a donation quilt for the H2H 2023 quilt challenge going on now. That pile is growing and it feels wonderful!
Linking with H2H check in today at Sarah's. 


Good on May 8-9, 2023

8 comments:

  1. sometimes you get stuck on a quilt because you just decide you don't like the fabric after all - I have one tucked away like that

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually do like it and think the blue border and that panto make it just right. I know whoever gets it will like it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to finish up a quilt that you don't like very much, so good for you! Sounds like it gave you a chance to try something different on the quilting which is another good thing. The recipient is going to love it because it will be all theirs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - it's really hard to finish projects when you find the colors or design just are not pleasing to you. So this is a big WIN! The blue border works well, maybe even better than the original pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you were able to get it done and someone will love it. Not all of our quilts do we love, and that is ok. Its a finish and a donation and that is so important!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It may not appeal to you, but it's made well and someone will get a lot of joy and comfort from it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hum, I think I have that book and made at least one quilt from it. Remember even if you don't like the colors or fabric designs someone else may find if fabulous. (I'm with you -- the fabric doesn't do much for me.) I think you were a lot smarter to put the extra blue around it so you didn't have to fuss with the zig zag border! Congrats on a great finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the blue you added to the quilt... it gives the eye a place to rest after looking over those colorful fabrics! Nice finish.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html