Friday, September 22, 2023

All things orange

Last weekend the youngest grandson (10 yrs.) stayed with us. The oldest was supposed to come also, but he got invited to go up north with a friend at the last minute. We missed him, but it was peaceful with just one too!  


Saturday morning I went to my long arm meeting while he was with grandpa and in the afternoon we had time for him to make his first pillowcase. I did the cutting and he sewed everything himself.  When he sews I turn the speed down on my sewing machine so it is easier for him to control and get a nice seam. He did an awesome job, I am so proud of him.  We had a fire and roasted hot dogs, and played lots of games. A good time was had by all;)



Also in orange is another type of pumpkin table runner. Another UFO out of the closet! I am guessing this one was pieced a couple of years ago and I wasn't inspired to quilt it up for some reason.


But it is all done now. The pattern is from Primrose Cottage on Etsy. 



This next one was also a UFO. Not sure when I pieced it but let's just say a few years ago. Fall is time for orange and pumpkins so I decided this was the year to finish it.  Good thing I did as it sold in a day!


The pattern for this one comes from Cottage Rose Quilts. 


I enjoyed the custom quilting with lots of ruler work.



It's been a busy week because I have been preparing to go to retreat next week. Back in August my friend in Wisconsin, that I went to the quilt show with a couple weeks ago, asked me if I would like to join her group for a quilt retreat.  I was undecided for a few days because this is my busy season in the shop. But I also needed something like this as it has been many many years since I went to a retreat. She also pointed out I could be working on items for the shop while there. So I said 'yes'.  It starts Monday and I will be back on Friday.  


Would you believe this stack holds 22 table runners to work on!  The top stack is seven runners that I cut, pieced and quilted this week. So I will applique and bind them there.  In the container resides all the rest of the ones I will work on. They are precut so I can applique and piece them there. Then quilt and bind when I get home.  What do you think, how many will I get done?  If the WIFI is good there you might see a post or two on my progress.  I am so excited to be getting away for a few days. 


Linking with several Friday linky parties: 






13 comments:

  1. Have a great time at your retreat! You will have lots to show when you get back home. I love all of your orange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your retreat is productive and FUN! Your grandson did a great job on that pillowcase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that sure is a nice big craft case holding so much! Love all your pumpkins -- I remember slowing the sewing machine down for children too and they enjoyed it at the time - so many pumpkins and lovely orange colors

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a very fun visit with your grandson! The upcoming retreat sounds very enjoyable, too - glad you get to go. Your pumpkin projects are so cute - love the log cabin pumpkins especially. Have a great time at the retreat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun visit with your grandson. Remind me about a new pillowcase tutorial I saw...I will send it to you. Have fun on the retreat....you will get a lot done and enjoy the laughter and camaraderie....one of the best medicines...even if none is needed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! Another sewist in the making. He did a great job on his pillow case. I love those pumpking pieces. I hope you have a great time and get lots of sewing done at your retreat...most of all, just enjoy the getaway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a fabulous visit with your grandson. He certainly did do a great job on his pillow case. All of your pumpkin quilts are so beautiful. You have inspired me. Enjoy the retreat. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the pumpkin runner and wall-hanging. Enjoy retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holee buckets that is a lot of table runners to work on!!
    Love your pumpkins... make me ready for fall!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love going to retreats but if you have not spent the time to prepare what you will be working on, it will not be a productive few days. It looks like you will get a lot accomplished. Enjoy the time away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Vicki! Big huge congrats on the fabulous orange pillowcase!! Nice job, Buddy. Ooh, love the latest lovely UFO finish. I love pumpkins and then you threw in a star - best combo ever. Yippee on the second finish and quick SALE. Woohoo!! I love the color combination of orange and navy. They must be across from each other on the color wheel (I don't know) as they pair beautifully, IMO. Have a blast at the retreat!! My guess is that you will get them ALL finished. Every single thing you bring with you! Five days is a long time . . . you can do it. Have fun with your friend - I know you will. {{Hugs}} ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yea for deciding to retreat. You'll get a lot done because there is no cooking(maybe), no distractions (maybe) and lots of fun sewing and chatting. Hope you have a wonderful week. I'm going next week. We can compare notes!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your grandson's pillow case is pretty cool - especially since he sewed it himself! And congrats to you finishing up the pumpkin/star table runner! It's great!
    Thanks for linking to TGIFF!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html