Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Working ahead for fall

Looking ahead at what I need to get done for fall is always fun. I love working with fall colors. First I chose to work with a panel I bought last fall and didn't get time then to use it. I fell in love with it at first site and had to order it right away.  


And if you know me you might have guessed I would be cutting it apart and making several wall hangings with it. I used my 8" Accuquilt cube companion angles to make the triangle in a square. That yielded me 4" blocks to add after I brought the pumpkin panel up to size with orange coping strips. Then adding a dark gray border before adding the triangles. 


Triangles in a square were also added to the bottom of the panel for a little more dramatic look;) The plaid outer border was from a purchase the year before and never used and it went p.e.r.f.e.c.t.l.y. with it!


Stitching in the ditch around the orange and gray small borders was needed. From there the pumpkin panel needed the hook swirl freehand design while the triangles received wishbones. When it came to the plaid border I simply followed the plaid for a piano key type design.



And there you have it with the first design for the fall season. I'll show you another next week. Stay tuned Friday for UFO finishes! Next up for me is to work on a tutorial for Accuquilt which goes live next Tuesday. 



Linking with these fun and inspirational parties:


There is always a sale going on at Accuquilt- right now this is happening




22 comments:

  1. I ALWAYS LOVE what you do with panels... its the little borders and fabrics you use make them so appealing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thank you Kat, I appreciate your sweet thoughts.

      Delete
  2. What a fun panel for fall. You nailed this one, Vicki. Plaids are tricky to work with and your border is perfect. Love the piano key quilting also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This plaid wasn't to skewed so I lucked out with it!

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely panel, you'll get many beautiful quilts out of it I'm sure. This first one is wonderful! Love that border. Thanks for sharing on my weekly show and tell, Wednesday Wait Loss.
    https://www.inquiringquilter.com/questions/2024/07/10/wednesday-wait-loss-388

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to think on how to make the next ones unique too!

      Delete
  4. I like that panel - the black/gray/white with pops of orange is a great combination! You'll get a lot of fun pieces out of it. I think you have a knack for picking the best panels, Vicki!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Diann! I have a few panels here that I wonder what I was thinking when I bought them. They just don't appeal to me now, but I hope someday to just pick one and do it in hopes someone else might love it.

      Delete
  5. I would be cutting it apart to and using the bottom and top pieces too - the smaller pieces I would need to think about

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a couple of the smaller ones will make a tall rectangle wall hanging.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful work as usual Vicki! You do such a great job with plaids (no my favorite to do) and I can't wait to see what else you'll be making for AccuQuilt1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished the Accuquilt item, now to fine tune the tutorial and get it sent off.

      Delete
  7. Hi Vicki! You've got it going on. I have been "thinking" about Fall but have made no moves to do anything about those thoughts. HAHA! I love working with Fall colors, too. Ooh, this wall hanging is gorgeous. I would hang that in my front hall or place it on my table in a heartbeat. My prediction is that this will sell quickly. So quickly you'll go what just happened?!! {{Hugs}} a bunch. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking back through last years sales and that made me want to make fall! Thanks for your sweetness today!

      Delete
  8. The plaids and checks add so much cuteness, Vicki!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes plaids and gingham, we can't go wrong!!

      Delete
  9. Whenever I see panels, you come to mind. You really made this little bit of panel sing, and how cool is it that the border fabric works so well, even though you bought it awhile back. Gotta love that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember shopping at Quilt Cove for panels with you!

      Delete
  10. I can't quite think about fall, but I do love fall and its colors. The gray in that panel is fun and the outer plaid is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason it doesn't bother me to think and work ahead for fall now. I guess because I love working with those colors.

      Delete
  11. Great finish. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the rest of the panel.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html