Monday, August 31, 2026

What's new on the design wall

 Hello and Happy Monday and last day of August. As we all say where has the time gone!!  On Sunday we didn't have any plans, we were both happy just staying home and working on our own projects. Here is what my day began with.


I picked out three fall panels from the plastic bin I store panels in. The top right one and the bottom left one are on the same panel. I used another piece last year which you can see HERE. Trimming them to a size I knew I could work with. Interviewing fabrics and elements came next. Since I had used these triangle in a square pieces on the one I did last year why not use them again.


Liking the one I did last year the rest of this one was done the same, saved a lot of designing time! Now it is ready to quilt. After that was pieced I moved on to figuring out what to do with the other gray/orange one. That gave me a bit more trouble-thinking time. At first I was going to split that one into two parts for two different wall hangings. But after putzing around for well over an hour and not liking anything I thought of I decided I needed to plan it with using it as a whole instead of splitting. The other gray/orange one got taken down and so did the green panel. A clear wall was needed for my brain to think! 


The first thought was to make a gingham tall pumpkin and a squatty orange one to add on top. I would surround those with other elements like flying geese or HST's and borders to bring them up to size with the panel.  After staring at that for a while it didn't do anything for me. Off to Pinterest for inspiration-do you use Pinterest for that? I do frequently.


That brought me to thinking about a Villa Rosa pattern called October Sky that has had me intrigued for a while. So I bought it and sized my blocks to fit my panel. Easy peasy and I love the look! What do you think? I'll work on that a bit more today. I usually write my post the night before and totally forgot last night.


Right after supper I put the finishing touches on this mini sunflower sampler which is a freebie from our generous friend Melisa! I found the wooden back pieced at the Dollar Store which I painted it black. I mounted the stitched 14 count Aida over batting and a stiff cardboard, hot glued the gold sparkly cording around the sampler, and hot glued the whole thing to the black wood. Stay tuned to a couple more finishes soon.



Saturday our 5 year old granddaughter spent part of her day with us, always so fun. While she was here we looked out the deck door and saw this guy sitting on the deck! We frequently have bunches of them come through the yard and snatch a drink at the pond-he had his friends with him.






9 comments:

  1. I like what you have come up with. :) Thanks for sharing in Sew & Tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you have so much fun working in your quilt room, Vicki. You are so fortunate to have a design wall where you can work out the steps as you design your quilts. These fall pieces are fabulous. The turkey fabric is the bomb! And how fun that you have been having turkeys visit you. Oh your Sunflower sampler is the cutest! And I love your finish. I am going to check out my Dollar Tree . Thank you so much for stitching the little sampler. You brightened my day. Have a fabulous day. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you've told 'how' you make some decisions. And, sometimes it doesn't work the way you think it should. Fall is almost here. I am looking forward to cool weather but this week is going to be hot and humid. Have fun figuring out all of your panels. l

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the plan for the panel!!! And what a cute cross-stitch piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your design wall never gathers any dust! We have had turkeys come through our yard recently but none of them come near the house. We did have a raccoon on the back porch recently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the plaid pumpkins, Vicki - or are they gingham - anyway, they're cute! The black, gray, white, and orange are a fun combination. The top and bottom border pieces you decided on work really well to balance the whole thing, too. I bet you'll find something fun to do with those extra pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh fun! That turkey was so close and seemed to say, “Yes, I’m a fine looking turkey, what of it?” 😂 I really like the Villa Rose design you’ve incorporated on the top and bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your wall full of pretty projects. You did good on your inspired design, can't wait to see how you finish it up! Not sure why I had not thought of using Pinterest to get ideas about quilts, I use it all the time to get food ideas. I love that cute little sampler!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to check out your every post as you have such a magical way with panels.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html