Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Vintage Reimagined with Island Batik

So many choices to pick from for the March Island Batik Ambassador.  The theme is Vintage Reimagined, we needed to find inspiration from an old quilt or quilt block and make it in an updated version.  There are so many wonderful places to find inspiration, old quilt books or magazines, museums, online, perhaps even in your granny's hope chest or attic.  Maybe you were lucky enough to be given something your grandma made many years ago.  



I found my inspiration in two places. I fondly remember a dresden plate quilt my mom made many many years ago.  I have no idea where that quilt is and mom is no longer around to ask.  I couldn't even find a picture of it. What I do know, is that she made all the plates by drawing around a cardboard template.  The second place I found inspiration was my blog friend Diane, she is working on dresden plate flowers.  Once I saw these I knew just what I wanted to make.  



We were traveling at the time and I didn't have my dresden plate template ruler. So I turned to my engineer hubby and asked him to draft me one on paper.  A little while later I was happily cutting into my Island Batik gold fabrics.  After returning home a few days ago I was a able to get them set onto the background fabric and today the quilting was done.  Here is a before 'the quilting' shot. 


 Here you see the whole piece on the longarm.  I am quilting my version of Mctavishing for the background.  I appliqued the dresden plate flowers on with my longarm by straight stitching inside the edges and seams before I quilted the background.  The stems were also stitched on in the same manner. 


Ta da...all done!  


A close up of the gorgeous gold Island Batiks.


After all the quilting was done, the leaves were blanket stitched on by machine.



Did you notice the ghost quilting of partial dresden flowers? 


As an Island Batik Ambassador the fabrics are provided for us by Island Batik.  Along with Hobbs Batting and Aurifil thread.   You can find links to all the Ambassadors blogs HERE.

I like the way the sunlight was peeking in our window before it set for the day.



Joining these linky parties:




29 comments:

  1. What a pretty runner! I'll bet you have a stash of quilts to finish now, right?? Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a beautiful table runner!!
    I love sunflowers--they just make me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is gorgeous! Perfect piece for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is gorgeous! The ghost quilting is perfect, as is the layout of the flowers. So sunny and cheerful. Love it! Thanks for linking to Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dresdon runner is so beautiful and the quilting is to die for. You did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. your stitching is so neat for the applique - I really must practice that to see if I could get good at it - I needle turn all my applique but sometimes wish I did machine work better

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stunning table runner. Such beautiful yellows ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vicki! Wow - this is c.o.o.l. I love the nice golden tones - it just looks perfect as a runner to really warm up a Spring table. Although it could probably be used in the Fall too just by changing a few accessories. The quilting looks great and my favorite part is the ghost Dresden plates. What a nice homage to your mom. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful table runner Vicki and the ghost quilting is a neat touch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vicki, that is gorgeous! Thanks for the mention, too - I never thought I'd be making Dresden blocks, but as sunflowers they are really appealing, aren't they?! Of course, your quilting adds such great design and texture to the design, too. I think this would sell at your fall craft shows! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful!!!!! What an amazing use of Dresdens! And this shows off the yellow-gold Island Batik fabrics so well. Simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's beautiful, Vicki! Love your quilting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so pretty, Vicki! Those golds are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful! And your quilting is perfection!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember sunflowers being popular in yellow kitchens in the 70s - complete with yellowish stoves and refrigerators. Your gorgeous table topper brings back memories of some of those kitchens. I love Sunflowers too and grow them every year. You sure are a wonderful Ambassador!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is stunning! I love how your quilting shows off on these gorgeous batiks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this table runner. Sunflowers are one of my favorites. They always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful runner , those fabrics are perfect !

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your McTavishing is lovely and appliquéing the leaves on the longarm is pure genius!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another terrific Ambassador Challenge piece! Your productivity always inspires me!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome runner and great quilting

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html