Friday, April 7, 2023

A stringy finish

 You might remember me working on this stringy flimsy in January.  It is a flimsy no longer because I quilted and bound it! 


All made from strings and a little bit of neutral yardage for the background. 


String quilts are really fun to make and almost feel like a free quilt! My string blocks finished at 8" square and I added a 2" sashing in between so I didn't have to deal with all those string seams coming together.


This string quilt is heading to the H2H donation pile. You can find more information about that HERE.


I had so much fun working with strings again that I actually started making blocks for another one. It won't be finished anytime soon, but I'll be happy when I open this UFO box and find lots of string blocks started.  Still trying to bond with my featherweight so I brought it out, oiled it up and began to sew a few blocks up. 


Linking with:


13 comments:

  1. I have never made a string quilt, but have a pile to use! This will be a great quilt for a male. Nicely done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel the same way - string quilts are definitely like a FREE quilt. This one is really good looking. I'm working on a string project too, but slowly. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great finish, Vicki! Definitely start another one - there are always strings to use up, aren't there?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great quilt to use up your strings! It would make a fun RSC blocks but I seem to have way more crumbs than strings...maybe I could adapt the block?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, Vicki!!! This quilt speaks to me. Beautiful job and great use of scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! It turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’ve got another string quilt going this year for RSC that will be an H2H quilt but it’s not using enough strings(!), so I may have to try this idea! It is a great quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great finish! I love the addition of the sashing, to keep all those string seams separated, so smart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, be still my heart! I love, love, love that string quilt!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a great string quilt! I love using my strings in a variety of ways, and I haven't done that one, so popping it into my strings file. I actually make more log cabin weird blocks than anything else with strings, but I've also done a lot of others in the past. It's just that the LC is such an easy leader-ender and I can do it in my sleep. I may add a few of these "lanterns" to my RSC blocks, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice finish - that quilt will make someone happy! You'll have the next one done in no time! (Cute Featherweight, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great way to use all those strings!! and its so super colorful!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your taking time to leave comments. I try to respond to them all, however, if you are a no-reply blogger I am not able to. If you would like to fix that try this link for help. http://www.sewathomemummy.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html